cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Recognising fake numbers

I normally only receive landline calls from about 4 or 5 people, the rest contact me on mobile, most of the time anyway !

Anyway over the past while I’ve been getting nuisance calls.  There are the odd calls from those pretending to be from BT Microsoft  or whatever.  Well I just hang up.

Other calls I’ve been getting are what I call ‘silence calls’ and they are beginning to increase in number. Silent calls are where you lift the receiver and for about 8 to 10 seconds there is nothing but silence and then the line goes dead!  What’s going on here ?

What I’m doing at the moment is just let the call ring out and then check the number. If it’s a number I recognise I’ll ring back. But what to do with the other calls and how to recognise unwanted calls from those you may want/need to take ?

My reason for this post is because ten minutes ago I received a call and after doIng  a 1471 on it discovered the dial code was 0, 3, 0.  I’m assuming that was a fake call. My problem is how can I check these before putting a block on them ?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Message 2 of 5

Re: Recognising fake numbers

@kah22wrote:

I normally only receive landline calls from about 4 or 5 people, the rest contact me on mobile, most of the time anyway !

Anyway over the past while I’ve been getting nuisance calls.  There are the odd calls from those pretending to be from BT Microsoft  or whatever.  Well I just hang up.

Other calls I’ve been getting are what I call ‘silence calls’ and they are beginning to increase in number. Silent calls are where you lift the receiver and for about 8 to 10 seconds there is nothing but silence and then the line goes dead!  What’s going on here ?

What I’m doing at the moment is just let the call ring out and then check the number. If it’s a number I recognise I’ll ring back. But what to do with the other calls and how to recognise unwanted calls from those you may want/need to take ?

My reason for this post is because ten minutes ago I received a call and after doIng  a 1471 on it discovered the dial code was 0, 3, 0.  I’m assuming that was a fake call. My problem is how can I check these before putting a block on them ?

Hi @kah22   Perhaps time for a change of thinking. Instead of blocking calls swap over to allowing calls with a phone equipped with call guardian.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

@kah22wrote:

Hi.

For info, calls beginning 030 are not necessarily fake calls. These numbers are typically used as a non area specific, e.g. the HMRC uses an 0300 number as contact.

However, calls beginning 030 will not be used by your friends or relatives.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

That’s the problem really how do you know which calls to reject short of ringing back
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

That's what answering machines are for. Never answer a number you don't recognise, if it is genuine they will start talking to the answering machine and you can pick up.

0 Ratings