Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oucheeeeee
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Replace BT Junction Box

Go to solution

Hi All,

Not sure is ADSL/Copper or fibre - So have posted in BOTH.

A friend of mine has a VERY old (bakerlite?) Junction box where BT cable enters the house that has totally disintegrated over the years (picture attached - You prob need to ZOOM in to see any worthwhile detail).  Recently, she has lost all telephone/Broadband services and she tells me that BT say that as the issue is INSIDE the house, it's not there issue and they won't come out for less than £150. As a single unemployed mum, she doesn't have that sort of money so is now paying £30-40 per month for a service she can't receive.  (This is all her side of story and shes been known to exaggerate......)

Could anyone tell me what I'd need to get this reconnected?  - Am pretty sure there are Youtube videos of how to do it - but they all seem to have different part names (BT80A/BT78A/BT66?)

Or alternatively - anyone know a telephone engineer who lives near Eastbourne?

Thanks in advance for any helpJunction Box (2).jpg

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Replace BT Junction Box

Go to solution

It's a junction box where the external openreach cable connects to the internal wiring.  Looks like it is suffering from dampness/corrosion and could easily be chargeable by openreach if engineer called out

try local paper for telecom engineer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Oucheeeeee
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Yes. BT/Openreach said £150 but she can't afford that so I'm trying to do it myself.  Videos on Youtube show how - but I don't know WHICH Video I need to follow or which part I need.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
You would be better off getting some greased filled crimps and just connect the incoming cable onto the cable that goes off to your main socket.
Have a look on that well known internet auction site search for jelly crimp. Just don't get the blue bean looking ones.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

It doesn't matter what you use, all you are doing is connecting 2 wires to 2 other wires. A BT 80A will do just fine.

Or as DD says, just crimp the wires together.

Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

If you enter

PACK OF 6 8A 2 WIRE TELEPHONE JELLY CRIMPS BT VIRGIN TELECOM CONNECTOR JOINER

Into a well known auction site it'll cost you £1.50.

Insert the wires and crimp with pliers.

Easy and cheap.

Oucheeeeee
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

AM googling grease filled crimps (there are hundreds of the little buggers)  Smiley Happy   I'm as handy as a man with no hands when it comes to DIY........but I'll get there (hopefully with the help of a video).  Will find a DIY shop who has a telephone cable guy.  I think that's all I really want to do - Just connect each of the wires IN to wires OUT, so these crimp jobbies look like a good call.

Many Thx. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

And if you want to make it look neater you can just screw a surface mount pattress box to the wall with a blanking plate cover to hide the crimps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Don't go up the route of a replacement block terminal as the latter ones are more prone to getting damp than the one you have.
DIY crimp are the best and cheaper options.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Oucheeeeee
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Just bought "10 PACK 2 WIRE TELEPHONE JELLY CRIMPS TELECOM CONNECTOR as used by BT Virgin" for £1.59 (Free Postage).

I'll source some wire clipper/trimmers, some electrical tape.............and post again when her whole phone infrastructure catches fire and explodes (as most things do when I try to fix).

Thanks all