Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1 of 9

Report a Scam call

Hi Everyone,

I want to highlight a new way to report scam calls to BT.

Fraudsters claiming to be from BT are calling victims to try and gain personal information, gain access to computers and in some cases access bank accounts.

We take these incidents very seriously. Please let us know if you've been the victim of a scam call, so we can stamp out this activity.

For more information please read the content here, Scam calls

To report a scam call you can fill in the details on this form, Report a scam call

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
8 REPLIES
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Report a Scam call

Thanks BT, a good start. You will be inundated! I have had 549 calls go to my voicemail already.

The form won't let you paste in the scam phone number. So many different scams too. Do you only want the ones claiming to be BT? Or do you want the ones about various insurances running out etc? 

The other one which can catch people out is the"Telephone Perference Management Service" which asks "have you had many scam calls?", and then says "good, the TPS is doing quite a good job then", then goes on "to keep this service running and blocking callers, please pay us £xx on your card ".

Rob

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 3 of 9

Hi @RobFletcher & @SeanD,

I have just reported a sam call purporting to be BT telling me to press 1 in order to prevent ~~~~.  Needless to say I hung up immediately and blacklisted it.

Rob is correct that phone numbers cannot be pasted but have to be inserted manually.

For the benefit of others, the number have to be inserted without any spaces.

Dode
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Got the same call as pompey1891. It came in on (spoofed) local number. Have reported it.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 5 of 9

Can I point out in this thread the  best way I have found to counter this threat - and it IS a threat as many people do get conned or end up paying for a premium line call.

I have signed my mother up to the Do Not Disturb and VIP service (part of BT Protect). I set it to send ALL her calls to the voicemail 24/7 and then put her allowed calls in the VIP list. I monitor it carefully so as to not miss callers who should be on the list - friends/family/carers/hospital/doctors etc - So far over a few months so good and her phone has ONLY rung with legit callers.

e.g Today alone she has had calls from 0108 443 0194,  0108 443 5394, and 4 on the hour from 024 7509 2505

A call was blocked at 1:39 one day (yes, early morning - what a **bleep** - nobody likes calls then as you always think the worst).

I now it's £3 per month, but it's worth it but perhaps BT could offer it to their old and vulnerable customers for free?

Hope this helps someone. Remember, you always have to get at least one call from a scammer before you can block it - and now they change their numbers all the time, blacklisting even with 100 numbers, doesn't really work. See above for the 0108 caller, just an hour apart.

Rob.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 6 of 9

Hi @RobFletcher,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your questions.

Please use the web form to report all instances of scam phone calls, not just the phone calls from the Cowboys pretending to be from BT Smiley Wink

I have reached out to the team who have created the web form and they have confirmed that the form is working as expected and there is a requirement to type the number in as opposed to pasting the number in.  I appreciate this will mean a bit more work for customers to complete than having the ability to paste, but we appreciate all submissions.

Cheers

Sean 

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

I expect the requirement to manually enter the information, is to prevent numbers that may have been stored in your web browser, being auto-filled by mistake. It also makes it difficult for automated "bots" to fill in false details and submit them.

You will see this on other web forms, especially from NHS and goverment departments.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

@RobFletcherwrote:

Can I point out in this thread the  best way I have found to counter this threat - and it IS a threat as many people do get conned or end up paying for a premium line call.

I have signed my mother up to the Do Not Disturb and VIP service (part of BT Protect). I set it to send ALL her calls to the voicemail 24/7 and then put her allowed calls in the VIP list. I monitor it carefully so as to not miss callers who should be on the list - friends/family/carers/hospital/doctors etc - So far over a few months so good and her phone has ONLY rung with legit callers.

e.g Today alone she has had calls from 0108 443 0194,  0108 443 5394, and 4 on the hour from 024 7509 2505

A call was blocked at 1:39 one day (yes, early morning - what a **bleep** - nobody likes calls then as you always think the worst).

I now it's £3 per month, but it's worth it but perhaps BT could offer it to their old and vulnerable customers for free?

Hope this helps someone. Remember, you always have to get at least one call from a scammer before you can block it - and now they change their numbers all the time, blacklisting even with 100 numbers, doesn't really work. See above for the 0108 caller, just an hour apart.

Rob.

Being asked to report scam calls seems like BT is just trying to be seen to do something, especially when there is, as you say, a system in place to prevent it. I had the VIP system with my previous supplier, not only did it work faultlessly but it was free.

I don't know how much BT makes from their £3 a month charge but you would think that just from a PR point of view, making it a free option would be worth it. Asking customers to fill in forms that will have little or no effect isn't good PR in my opinion.

0 Ratings
TomPaine
Message 9 of 9

That's very helpful. I know it's a never-ending struggle, but these calls are very annoying and upset many people.

0 Ratings