Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 51 of 114

Re: Report a Scam call

@citizenzwrote:

That may not be enough. 

I have been having junk emails concerning my TV licences and they know everything.  Name, address, email, account number - the lot.  Luckily they seem to be missing my bank details.

I would prefer it if BT got rid of the scam calls.

By 10.15 this morning I had already had two scam calls, both now reported to BT.  It is relentless.  Day in day out.  Up to four times a day.   These are my only calls, most of my contacts use my mobile number.   Making calls on BT is so expensive!!  But unfortuneately one friend uses the landline, or I would remove the handset.

They can obviously change the number of the call so the 1471 registers a random number.  I do not know how they do that, but I bet my son would know, he is an expert on call detection software.

Hi.

As has been said many times in this thread and others, the scammers use VoIP systems and spoof the called from number. They are not BT, and it's a UK and Worldwide issue.

If you are making a lot of calls, and do not have the Anytime package, then have a look at adding that.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 52 of 114

Can I just make the point that we are using the word "spoof" a lot of times. To be clear what this means is that the person calling, usually using the VoIP system (Voice over Internet Phone), have the ability to set what the number you see they are calling from on your Caller Display or 1471 enquiry. So, you simply cannot rely on this number as being real in any sense at all. By the time the BT systems (or other telecoms company) get this they are not really in a position to do anything about it. 

Many times they will use the number of a legitimate person or business, so BT (or others) cannot simply block this number. Somehow the system somewhere needs to be able to see it's a VoIP call and check the callers number - however, that said, many businesses these days use VoIP instead of "normal" telephony, usually because it's so much cheaper (or "free").

Sadly, this is just yet another consequence of the use of the internet becoming all encompassing into our everyday lives. 

The only way to "protect" ourselves is to use some form of call filtering and blocking technology, be it a physical phone or other solutions offered by the telecoms companies. [I have so far protected my mum from 736 scam/unwanted calls]

Rob

0 Ratings
citizenz
Contributor
Message 53 of 114

The problem with blocking too many calls, is that people like the doctor, have a number withheld system so it is difficult allowing them.

I actually make almost no calls on my landline.  I have all calls included in my phone deal.  If I added anytime calls to my deal it would cost £7 per month but calls to mobiles are still 6p a minutes.  BT are having a laugh.  For £8 on my mobile I get all calls including to mobiles , all texts and 4mb of data, (and from 71 countries).  

However having reported the calls for several days, now things have gone quiet.   I wonder how long it will last? 

0 Ratings
WoodbridgePete
Contributor
Message 54 of 114

@citizenzwrote:

The problem with blocking too many calls, is that people like the doctor, have a number withheld system so it is difficult allowing them.

NHS and doctors are wise to this and will phone again without the number being withheld, at least they do around Ipswich and east Suffolk

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 55 of 114

@citizenzwrote:

We have the same problem, if there was a way of getting BT to block VOIP calls it would help a lot.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 56 of 114

@Bob1001 wrote:

@citizenzwrote:

We have the same problem, if there was a way of getting BT to block VOIP calls it would help a lot.

There are many genuine companies, Doctor's surgeries, Police etc that use VOIP calling so it is not as simple as just blocking them.

EDIT: BT are aiming to switch off their landline system by 2025 so it will mean that you will need to use either mobile or  VOIP.

Highlighted
tickhill
Expert
Message 57 of 114

There seem to be several discussions going on this topic.

If your scam call has claimed to be "on behalf of BT"  which seems to be the current "in thing" you may find this discussion of interest.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/scam-phone-call/td-p/1852432

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 58 of 114

I see the future in tin cans and bits of string.

pompey1898
Expert
Message 59 of 114

@Bob1001wrote:

I see the future in tin cans and bits of string.

But it must be a certain type of can and string from a sustainable source

0 Ratings
KerryAnneG9
Message 60 of 114

Scam phone call
SCAM.
At 8.30am this morning an automated voice called me and said they were from BT.
"This is being re directed from BT your phone and internet will be cut off this afternoon. To talk to BT press 2"
I then hung up.
0 Ratings