cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 161 of 191

Re: Report a Scam call

I think BT should do more to make customers aware , if not by email then a letter .. most people on here will be 'savy' ... but check out  Jim Browing posts on y-tube.. Its not going away .. scammers just  find another format for a scam.. strangely some operators  don't see it as a crime .. just a job ..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 162 of 191

These scoundrels  are working from India

Watch BBC documentary form 2nd March 2020

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-51660982/criminals-on-cctv-scammers-caught-red-handed

Criminals on CCTV: Scammers caught red-handed

Hundreds of thousands of people fall victim to scams in the UK every year.

Many are run from criminal call centres abroad, where teams of fraudsters operate around the clock.

One man in the UK, who goes by the name "Jim Browning", decided to do something about it. He hacked into a call centre in India from where scammers target their victims.

Jim gained access to the recorded scam phone calls as well as CCTV footage exposing the scammers at work.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 163 of 191

I think an exceptional threat requires exceptional measures to combat it. Normal rules of entrapment should not apply and the big firms whose networks are being exploited for criminal gain should pay bounties to the likes of "Jim Browning" for exposing these gangs so that they can be brought to justice.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 164 of 191

In addition, the sentences which are awarded to those convicted should reflect the real misery and hardship caused, not some arbitrary tariff based on a notional cash value.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 165 of 191

Thanks Sean but I think what concerns some of your customers on here - me included - is that scam calls often come just after an interaction with BT and the scammers appear aware of that interaction.  In my case I had a fault which went on for several weeks and during that period got a phone call saying it was from BT.  The man had an Indian accent and clearly knew details of my fault, my landline number (never used), my email address and BT account number.

Obviously I quickly realised it was a scam call and ended it with no breach.  At the same time I got an email inviting me to a BT chat about the fault.  Clearly another scam attempt so deleted without opening.

Now some of the data could be skimmed by criminals from other sources.  But the BT fault was recent and had only been dealt with directly with BT.  So it looked like only a BT source had the information the scammers had.  The conclusion seems obvious ....  Yet when I contacted BT to report it BT’s complacency was stunning.  BT said - without investigation - that BT couldn’t be the source of the scammer’s information.  And that was it!

How can BT claim to treat our data securely when it refused to investigate apparent breaches and just denies them immediately?

When I reported it on here other customers said they had had almost identical scam calls with knowledge of reported BT  faults!

So I think BT has some way to go to convince come of us that its systems are secure!

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 166 of 191

Jim Browning has been at the forefront in the UK  exposing these scams and sometimes shutting them down.. as my previous post informed the forum.. also as some forum posts now concur  I do believe the data from BT faults is being used  as leads to target scam calls on known BT customers. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 167 of 191

It has been reported many times that scammers have contacted BT customers shortly after interaction between the customer and BT's Customer Service and that it is strongly suspected that customers details are either being handed over/sold to scammers or scammers actually work for BT in their call centres.

It has been requested on this forum that this information be forwarded to BT security and that an investigation, including interviewing the customers that have been contacted be undertaken to establish if there is substance to the suspicions.

As far as I am aware this has never been done.

The stock answer given by BT is that it is just a coincidence!

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 168 of 191

Perhaps it is just coincidence but BT do not help themselves by employing Indian call centres. If BT discontinued this and used British ones, they would:

1.  Prevent accusations of collusion between a BT call centre and a scamming call centre.

2.   Provide jobs for British people

3.   Develop and keep skills and experience in this country.

4.   Perhaps help persuade the Indian government to take action against the scammers.

5.   Enhance the “customer experience”.

6.    Remind BT’s senior leadership what the “B” in BT means.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 169 of 191

All BT's customer support is now UK and Ireland based. The out sourcing to foreign areas has stopped.  

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/01/bt-bring-100-of-customer-service-calls-back-to-uk-and-...

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 170 of 191

Of course any stolen data from outsourced call centres is already out there and can be used in the future.  

BT should also investigate the multiple scam emails claiming to be from BT with logo, account details (asterisks but looking accurate) and email.

It's got to the point where I consider all BT emails potentially scams and bin them.  Usually if I call  BT to ask if the email about my account was real I am told no.  Surely it can't be beyond BT to have a form of secure, verified communication with customers?

It's not good for a business when customers can not trust communications from it.  Genuine sales, account emails, fault updates etc suffer from the widespread faking of BT emails.