Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 91 of 114

Re: Report a Scam call

@oldles wrote:

Has someone in BT worked out  a way to detect the scammers, I had a call from "Windows PC  licence authority "in India ! ... (Paul....He knew my name ! ) " did  I know my licence was being withdrawn " (or  some thing similar ) ... before i could chat for an hour.. someone pulled the plug ? Still think there's a  info leak at Open Reach ...

Have you never given your name, address and phone number to any online company, website, web form, other than BT or as you have said,Openreach?

0 Ratings
oldles
Contributor
Message 92 of 114

I see where your coming from. The main reason for mentioning OR was that the first raft of Indian scammers , followed the day after my line was fixed. The latest one new my wife's name too...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 93 of 114

I am not saying that information is not being "given" out to scammers from BT staff, I have in the past voiced similar concerns and suggested that BT's internal security department investigate but I was informed that there were measures in place to prevent that from happening. Make of that what you will. I know what I still think!

Amongst the many other scams that are doing the rounds the Microsoft scam has been going on for years and it is not always  BT customers that are contacted.

There have been many hacks on many websites and details of email addresses\contact details etc are freely available online as are voters rolls, phone directories etc.

To check if your email address has been hacked or on sites that you use it you can use this site.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 94 of 114

As reported before  I get a lot of red error messages when I try to report scam calls. Sometimes below the scam number, sometimes below the phone number getting the call, and sometimes both!

They just flash by, so I have no idea what hey are saying. Just happened again. I tried 4 times to enter the scam number, one of the Ashford ones, and it finally accepted it on the 4th try! 

Can someone please tell me what's going on. How any times do I try to enter a scam call number before giving up?

Rob

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 95 of 114

I have been monitoring and logging my mother's phone now for over a year. Here's a quick review of what has happened to her line in terms of junk calls. 

One Year by Day.JPGOne Year by Week.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 96 of 114

That is an astonishing amount of calls.

Without going back over this thread ... how long has she had that number? I assume her number is on the TPS, has it always been bad? Was her number a previous business number?

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 97 of 114

She has had this number for more than 15 years. Never been a business number. Been on TPS for as long as I can remember.

This is why I have to pay £3.50 per month. Her emergency call and pendant system from the Council is also on this line.

We are about to hit the jackpot here too!

vcalls.JPG

Soon to hit 1000 calls to junkmail since we signed up to Call Protect. Just had to use the DND and VIP List to stop any calls going through because as we all know, you have to get a call before you can block it. Most never use the same number now apart from a few "Australian" ones lately.

Just as well they have been blocked.

Rob.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 98 of 114

Makes you wonder whether someone inadvertantly advertised the wrong number somewhere ... hers by mistake.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 99 of 114

I suppose it's possible - the calls have all been the usual BT Broadband, Microsoft, car accident, appliance insurance, Telephone Preference Management(!!!).

Rob

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 100 of 114

I JUST had to post this milestone ...

1000.JPG

Rob

0 Ratings