cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
citizenz
Contributor
Message 101 of 114

Re: Report a Scam call

My husband fell for a scam via the phone.  So I have now unplugged our phone.  I need the landline for Wifi, but no longer use it for calls in or out.  I rather resent paying for something which not only do I not use, but which became a threat to us.  Life is quiet and peaceful again now without the unwanted calls.  And since all calls are included in my mobile deal, the landline calls became very expensive.   

So far his mobile has been free of spam.  I only give the number to his friends now, all businesses etc. are given my number.  

RobFletcher
Expert
Message 102 of 114

My mother has had 12 scam calls today making it 27 so far this week!

Just a very good job none actually get through to her phone. 8:30am to 17:30pm. Also I can have peace of mind that she will not fall for any of the scams now - with severe dementia, it was always on the cards. She was always doing a 1471 ringback too, costing her a fortune (I have had that facility disabled).

Rob.

0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 103 of 114

I got several scam calls in the last few days with something new.  I had been amusing myself by playing along with the scammer, and when I got to the bit where they wanted me to connect to a remote-access website (to remove the malware in question), I declined saying I had no proof they were who they said they were.  In these latest calls, I was then transfered to a supervisor who asked me to run the "assoc" command on my computer.  He/she directed me to a line near the bottom of the resulting screenfull which she claimed contained the unique "CLSID" of my computer. She then spoke a 32-digit number, asking me to confirm that it matched my computer CLSID.  It did.  "That" she said "verifies that the fault we are reporting is indeed on your computer".

This could fool some people but it didn't fool me.  The "assoc" command just lists file extensions and the associated programs for handling them.  Every Windows computer has the same number on this line of that list, which is ..

888DCA60-FC0A-11CF-8F0F-00C04FD7D062

Paste it into Google and read all about this latest trick in the scammer's toolkit.

Regards

Peter M

0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 104 of 114

After my last post I read through all 102 posts in this thread.  This leaves me with two questions which some of our distinguished experts may be able to answer for me.

1) If the scammers (most of them?) are making their calls via the internet (VoIP) using methods which allow them to freely choose the "phone number" which the phone network sees as the caller's phone number, does this mean that the "Call Protect" feature that I have on my phone is completely ineffective at blocking such calls - it will be a waste of time selecting "Add the last number to the Blocked list".  It won't even be worth selecting the "block calls from withheld numbers".  Call Protect would only be useful if I wanted to block calls from identifiable numbers (people I don't like!)

2) The fact that it IS possible to make calls into the telephone network from the internet must mean that there IS such a thing as a "VoIP-to-phone-network" gateway.  Where are they?  Is there any scope for controlling these gateways so that the bad guys can be closed down?

Peter M

Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 105 of 114

I just leave everything to go to my answering machine, if it is anyone I want to talk to I can pick the call up. Everyone I know knows I do it and just say "Hi Bob, pick the phone up". Scam callers usually just put the phone down when they hear it is an answering machine and I now get very few.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 106 of 114

I think the problem with leaving it to be picked up by a machine or picked up by the voicemail is that the computer system at the other end marks you down as a "live number" and then you get added to the list which is then sold on to the scammers.  It's a 2 stage process whereby one lots look for phones, make the lists, and then sell them to those who try to get money out of you - the "silent calls" tend to be the "probing" ones.

My mum's scam calls now sit at 1050 over the last 18 months. She had 35 last week alone!

Luckily, nothing actually rang her phone, and at 95, simply does not need to be disturbed by the scam merchants!

I know people would like BT and the various telecoms companies to do something about it, but, I'm pretty much convinced that there is nothing that can be done. Even mobiles are not immune. We just have to put our own blocking technologies in place - be it, only answering the "pick up the **** phone!", call blocking phones or the Do Not Disturb part of BT Call Protect (at £3.50 per month, it does cost, but I can vouch that it really does work, and only allows calls on your VIP list to actually get to ring the phone!).

Blacklists are useless due to scammers changing and choosing any number they like. TPS is a complete joke and can do nothing to stop this. The fact that TPS is around has led to the "This is the Telephone Preference Management Service here" scam, where they say you need to update your subscription, and give them your bank details!

Rob.

Looking forward to the 1500 blocked calls milestone later this year!

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 107 of 114

@PeterMartinezwrote:

After my last post I read through all 102 posts in this thread.  This leaves me with two questions which some of our distinguished experts may be able to answer for me.

1) If the scammers (most of them?) are making their calls via the internet (VoIP) using methods which allow them to freely choose the "phone number" which the phone network sees as the caller's phone number, does this mean that the "Call Protect" feature that I have on my phone is completely ineffective at blocking such calls - it will be a waste of time selecting "Add the last number to the Blocked list".Unfortunately YES  It won't even be worth selecting the "block calls from withheld numbers".  Call Protect would only be useful if I wanted to block calls from identifiable numbers (people I don't like!)No. It does an excellent job of blocking these -IMHO

2) The fact that it IS possible to make calls into the telephone network from the internet must mean that there IS such a thing as a "VoIP-to-phone-network" gateway.  Where are they?  Is there any scope for controlling these gateways so that the bad guys can be closed down?How do your propose differentiating the scammers from the genuine ?

Peter M

0 Ratings
jossmer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 108 of 114

I never use my landline to makes any more, to expensive. I begrudge having to pay for a phone line and calls package I no longer use. Phone line is only there for broadband.

So is it not time that this forced monopoly is stopped.  Why can we not just rent the line without the phone and calls package?

Also call protect, why should we have to pay and extra £3.50 a month for the full package when BT should be the one's sorting these scam calls out.

Rip of BT

Joss
0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 109 of 114

I do believe that BT should not charge for the extra part of Call Protect because it's really the only part now which can guarantee that calls are actually blocked. 

The blacklist is now useless because (a) You can only put a call on the blacklist ONCE you have received it - so you always get a scam call and (b) the scammers use different numbers every time, so blacklisted numbers rarely come up again to be blocked!

How can we "petition" BT to drop the £3.50 charge? The number of scam calls blocked and sent to voicemail on my aged mother's phone (which I manage) now stands at 1062 over 18 month of use of the DND+VIP list part of Call Protect. Works very well and I know she has not had to be disturbed or worse been taken for ride by the scam merchants. I also get peace of mind having this in place.

Rob. 

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 110 of 114

@jossmerwrote:

I never use my landline to makes any more, to expensive. I begrudge having to pay for a phone line and calls package I no longer use. Phone line is only there for broadband.

So is it not time that this forced monopoly is stopped.  Why can we not just rent the line without the phone and calls package?

Run http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and post results after deleting your phone number.

Then see if SOGEA is available to you , see here :-

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/05/bt-wholesale-uk-broadband-checker-adds-sogea-fttc-avai....

0 Ratings