cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 21 of 114

Re: Report a Scam call

@RobFletcherwrote: I agree that your process is an excellent idea for your Mum and would like to make the observations below.

The problem nnow is that the scammers have caught on to the fact that peope use call blockers. So, to get round this they now use different numbers all the time. It's rare that a blacklisted number on BT Call Protect coms up a second time. Am I not right in thinking that once a number is blacklisted it is not going to appear again and will go straight to junk mail ?. Here's a screenshot of my mums Call Protect, and note that the number of calls sent to voicemail are all those which have NOT rung her phone!

Since using Do Not Disturb+VIP List she has not had a single scam call ring her phone. (At a cost of £3.50 per month though).Like you, I think this should be free, if only for the elderly or vulnerable.  Perhaps a mod could comment on how much this actually costs BT ?Junk.JPG

Rob. 

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 114

@pompey1898It was free with Sky when I was a subscriber, but at £3.50 a month I would have thought that that buying handests with the call blocker built in is better value.

I bought the 4600 for my Mum last month, it's stopped the calls stone dead apart from those that choose to announce themselves to the automated intercept, but hardly any actually bother.

0 Ratings
oldles
Contributor
Message 23 of 114

Another BT scam caller today 8:30 am .. phone number was from Colwyn Bay ? again said from BT , I still think they have got hold of a list on BT customers with a PC or Laptop and BB ... I have call block phone . You just have to look at the whocalledme  web site to see all the BT customers ....

0 Ratings
WoodbridgePete
Contributor
Message 24 of 114

There's a high percentage that users are BT, plus a lot of users still think it is BT that maintain the network, so the scammers will say BT

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 25 of 114

What I want to know is how do these call blocker phones deal with the automated messgaes? Surely they will be seen as announcing themselves? Does the phone ring when they say hello, can I speak to Mrs xyz, when they have your name?

An explanation of how it works for all these various spam cases would be most welcome.

I really needed a system whereby absolutely NO calls got to my mum's phone except those on the list. She has severe dementia and would easily give over bank details to fix her broadband (which she doesn't have), or extend a warranty on her washing machine etc, or pay to keep the Telephone Preference Management going (note the wrong name for TPS!).

As you can see from my screenshot, the system has stopped her being bothered 690 times already - update, 692 now, two more this morning! I live 250 miles away so can't easily program her phone remotely, unless you can of course? 

Rob.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 114

@RobFletcher wrote:

What I want to know is how do these call blocker phones deal with the automated messgaes? Surely they will be seen as announcing themselves? Does the phone ring when they say hello, can I speak to Mrs xyz, when they have your name?

Rob.

They have to press a button after they announce themselves, so that needs a person to make the call.

From the manual.

They will hear, “Callers to this number are being screened by a
BT Call Blocking phone please say your name after the tone and then press # and
wait to be connected”. Those on your Blocked list will hear, “Callers to this number
are being screened by a BT Call Blocking phone, the person you are calling isn’t
accepting your call. Please hang up”).
0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 27 of 114

Sounds good about it needing a person.  Do you have to set up a blocked list though and/or add numbers to it? It needs to be completely standalone for it to be a solution for me, my mother should never have to touch the phone other than to answer a call from her carers, doctors and emergency response services.

For me the good thing about the solution at present is that I can see her calls come in, do a quick check online to see who was calling (usually spammers!), and then report it to the "Report a Spam Call" webpage. If I find a new number used by some of her carers or services, I can easily check it and add to the VIP list. 

Unless I can add numbers to her call blocking phone remotely, then it can't be a solution at present, because any extra numbers from her carers need to be added. 

Also, the phone has a 24/7 alarm system attached so if she falls, she can press her pendant and send a call to the response team. Typically the send an ambulance to help, but they call ahead on lots of different numbers - not a lot of good if she's on the floor and therefore can't get to the phone!  - I assume they come across the call blockers all the time, and I guess they know how they work and will announce themselves?

Maybe I am overthinking it, and so long as all those who call know to say who they are, it should work OK.

Why would you need to have a "blocked list"? Unless it's for people you don't want to speak to even if they announce who it is!

Thanks for the info, most useful.

Rob.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 114

You have to add the numbers of the people you want to receive call from, into the phone itself, so it cannot be done remotely.

All calls that are not in that list, are dealt with by the Call Guardian options. Its best to look at the manual.

BT46000

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55726/c/1818

I have that phone, but do not use any of the blocking features, as I do not receive any spam calls.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 29 of 114

Thanks,

I'll check out the manual. The phone may be an option.

Rob.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 30 of 114

@Andy005wrote:

@pompey1898It was free with Sky when I was a subscriber, but at £3.50 a month I would have thought that that buying handests with the call blocker built in is better value.

I bought the 4600 for my Mum last month, it's stopped the calls stone dead apart from those that choose to announce themselves to the automated intercept, but hardly any actually bother.

I have a call blocker with trueCall but never use it.  I bought them just before Call Protect was announced and have never bothered to set it up.   I do get the odd scam call eget through but quite "enjoy" winding them up.