cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 114

Re: Report a Scam call

@RobFletcherIt may be worth considering another supplier such as Sky, assuming that their full service is available where your Mum lives. The advantage is that you can update the allowed and blocked numbers online and you don't need to change the handset. My Mum has dementia and I've given her the BT4600. It's very good but she is struggling to getting used to using it, mainly because the loudspeaker button is in a different location.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 32 of 114

Some of the recorded messages I find annoying but amusing the latest that could worry some people said that there was an arrest warrant out on me. If someone wanted to arrest me I am sure they would just turn up and do it rather than get me to ring a premium rate number.

No sign of the FBI yet.

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 114

Not scam callers but nuisance callers bordering on the line of scammers.

Sales centres continually calling selling Boiler Insurance, even when explaining that they should call after 6pm they still call during the day. I have blocked there number and check how often they've attempted to call since. I am not in the phone book and am on the call barring list. I believed that if companies keep flouting this then I can claim compensation for the harrasment if so who do you make the claim off?

The callers are a sales team my number has been obtained off my energy supplier if it's a seperate company have they breached any data protection laws?

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 34 of 114

Just received a call (on answer machine at 11:12 today) from 02080 894 706.  The person claimed to be from HMRC and left quite a threatening message that if I did not return the call I would face legal action.

Quite clearly a scam so I reported it as requested in @SeanD 's original post.

How can this be a spoofed number though, like so many of them are, since she is asking me to call the same number back ?   Perhaps BT could take action against this number ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 35 of 114

@pompey1898wrote:

Just received a call (on answer machine at 11:12 today) from 02080 894 706.  The person claimed to be from HMRC and left quite a threatening message that if I did not return the call I would face legal action.

How can this be a spoofed number though, like so many of them are, since she is asking me to call the same number back ?   Perhaps BT could take action against this number ?

BT can't take action on a number allocated to a different company, in this case DIDWW Ireland Limited, and a VoIP system.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 36 of 114

@Andy_Nwrote:

@pompey1898wrote:

BT can't take action on a number allocated to a different company, in this case DIDWW Ireland Limited, and a VoIP system.

Hi @Andy_N ,

Given that it is a genuine, as opposed to a spoofed, number why can't BT add it to its blocked list ?

Can Ofcom not take any action ?

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 37 of 114

But ... if the users of VoIP can fake any originating number, be it a real compnay or just a fake unused number, then I see that there's little if anything Telecoms company can now do to stop this epidemic of scams. Sadly so many people get sucked into this and lose a lot of money. 

It might help if the users of "premium" number, which are paid for in some way I assume, are better regulated and checked to see if the user is in fact offering a genuine service or if they are simply scamming money into overseas accounts.

As I have said many times before, the only way to be sure to avoid these scam calls is to have a system which only allows genuine calls from friends/family etc through to your phone. Either special phones or BT's Do Not Disturb coupled with a VIP List (£3.50 per month). 

To date my mum  has had 725 calls go to voicemail as unwanted, nuisance calls. Not one of these has actually rung her phone. At 94, she did not want or need any of these!

However, the majority of people are not going to do this, and they will remain targets for the unscrupulous. 

I really feel that it's now such a problem that it needs to be investigated at the highest level - maybe an online petition asking the government to intervene and do something (I know not what) might be in order?

Rob.

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 114

Why cant technology recognise when a call from India is using a London dialling code, currently only scammers who do this. You can block international calls but not those who use UK dialling numbers. If they need to use the international dialling code to telephone you then why can't it be blocked.

This is surely harming ligitamte buisness that have moved to Indian call centres or employ staff in the UK with Indian accents . I am suspicous of any calls I receive that have a foreign voice, as 99% of those i've had in the last 5 years is a scam call.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 39 of 114

@pompey1898wrote:

@Andy_Nwrote:

@pompey1898wrote:

Hi @Andy_N ,

Given that it is a genuine, as opposed to a spoofed, number why can't BT add it to its blocked list ?

Can Ofcom not take any action ?

That can add it to their "system" blocklist, but they will need to find out if the number is not simply spoofed. The fact that the message may have said "call back", but had you received the call in person, then it would have been different. I'm surprised the scammers even said call back. The number shown could well be a totally innocent number, and they could then receive all sorts of irate people.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 40 of 114

@CypriotForexScamwrote:

Why cant technology recognise when a call from India is using a London dialling code, currently only scammers who do this. You can block international calls but not those who use UK dialling numbers. If they need to use the international dialling code to telephone you then why can't it be blocked.

This is surely harming ligitamte buisness that have moved to Indian call centres or employ staff in the UK with Indian accents . I am suspicous of any calls I receive that have a foreign voice, as 99% of those i've had in the last 5 years is a scam call.

How do you know the call has come from India? In order to block international calls using the Call Protect system, the call has to have an international call type in the message system for the call - which effectively means it has to pass through the international gateways. Spoofed numbers can be anything and the interconnect is VoIP switches into the PSTN - not international.

There are plenty of reasons businesses set a called number, BT do this as do many others. So that when they call you, you will see a typical business number and not the internal extension of the caller.

(It's not London looking numbers of course, it's effectively nationwide.)

The problem is also worldwide.

0 Ratings