cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 61 of 114

Re: Report a Scam call

My mother still get a large number of calls with the +1 and +2 prefix which I cannot report on the form. Any chance of the form being amended to enter these as well? Had 3 today at 30 minute intervals, same number!

The number of calls now gone to her voicemail is 757! So at least these have not got as far as ringing her phone and disturbing her.

Thanks

Rob.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 62 of 114

Although they are probably fake numbers for what it is worth  replace the + with 00 

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 63 of 114

@Bob1001wrote:

Although they are probably fake numbers for what it is worth  replace the + with 00 

As you thought, these are spoofed numbers so there is no point in reporting them

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 64 of 114

But, since ALL the numbers are fake (spoofed) what is the point then of reporting any of them? Surely BT are compiling a list of the most used scam numbers and are are going to actively block these? 

It would be useful for this community to know exactly what BT will be doing with the data? Anyone??

Rob.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 65 of 114

@RobFletcherwrote:

But, since ALL the numbers are fake (spoofed) what is the point then of reporting any of them? Surely BT are compiling a list of the most used scam numbers and are are going to actively block these? 

It would be useful for this community to know exactly what BT will be doing with the data? Anyone??

Rob.

Unless BT can trace end to end, I too believe it's a waste of time reporting them. I don't expect it's possible to trace past the interconnect point at the VoIP switch - if it was, then this issue would stop.

The only way for a criminal to be found is if they make a mistake, which some do. Of course, the problem is finding that mistake in the millions upon millions of spoofed calls.

The reported calls can easily be put into a database and possibly used as a blocking measure - though if ranges are in use, they can't block them. Also as the ranges are controlled by OFCOM, they need to be very careful in blocking as ranges do get added to all companies from time to time. That could lead to a potential serious issue.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 66 of 114

@Andy_Nwrote:

@RobFletcherwrote:

Rob.

Unless BT can trace end to end, I too believe it's a waste of time reporting them. I don't expect it's possible to trace past the interconnect point at the VoIP switch - if it was, then this issue would stop.

The only way for a criminal to be found is if they make a mistake, which some do. Of course, the problem is finding that mistake in the millions upon millions of spoofed calls.

The reported calls can easily be put into a database and possibly used as a blocking measure - though if ranges are in use, they can't block them. Also as the ranges are controlled by OFCOM, they need to be very careful in blocking as ranges do get added to all companies from time to time. That could lead to a potential serious issue.

BT can certainly trace them BUT they would need to come in on a line they were monitoring, they well be doing this and depending on how many lines they are monitoring the more success they will get BUT as most probably come from outside the UK practically there is little they can do.

0 Ratings
citizenz
Contributor
Message 67 of 114

I reported a lot calls.   99% of the calls to my landline were spam.  And I am delighted to say that things have quietened down.  Several days now without a spam call.  Bliss!!  I hope it continues.   So if BT have found a way to stop these calls:

Well done! and a big thank you.   

0 Ratings
Heatherwood01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 68 of 114

I received a call earlier today (exact time reported on the report attemped scam call form) from someone claiming to be from BT Openreach  who said  his name was Jack and that they had just activated Block call on my number, then asking me to confirm an address they had for me, therefore attempting to gain personal info.  

At that point I just said that I did not respond to this type of call, goodbye, and hung up.  I've added the number that appeared as the originating number that appeared on my display (01302 884719 -  I have caller id activated on my account) to my list of blocked numbers but wonder if anyone else has received this variation of  a scam call?  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 69 of 114

@Heatherwood01wrote:

I received a call earlier today (exact time reported on the report attemped scam call form) from someone claiming to be from BT Openreach  who said  his name was Jack and that they had just activated Block call on my number, then asking me to confirm an address they had for me, therefore attempting to gain personal info.  

At that point I just said that I did not respond to this type of call, goodbye, and hung up.  I've added the number that appeared as the originating number that appeared on my display (01302 884719 -  I have caller id activated on my account) to my list of blocked numbers but wonder if anyone else has received this variation of  a scam call?  

If they say they are from BT Openreach, they are lying as the company is called Openreach. That is a big giveaway, though I expect many people believe it's BT Openreach.

No idea what they are referring to with regard "Block call" - it just sounds like a typical scare tactic to say that calls to you are all being blocked, and they are now letting you know in an attempt for the end user to be conned into something. Many might believe it unfortunately, rather than put the phone down and perhaps call themselves from a mobile.

0 Ratings
Heatherwood01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 70 of 114

Thanks Andy_N,  That confirms what I thought! 

It would be very easy to be caught out - the guy was using the first part of my post code.  Hope my highlighting  this variation on an attempted scan will help to alert others that this is happening!

0 Ratings