cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oldles
Contributor
Message 71 of 114

Re: Report a Scam call

Wher are BT in all this scamm activity ?  I am still convinced there is a 'leak' of customer information from the Openreach dispatch (in India ? ) , last year I had some line problems. The day after it was fixed, scam calls started.. A few knew my name.. Now last Friday again another line problem on my phone was closed down ( 3 weeks of problems ) this morning ...  Asian 'gentleman' (Scotish call number) he knew my name ,, said my Windows PC licence was due to expire... eventually I told him what i thought of him, and he should go tell his mother what he does..

But does BT follow up reports  and anything posted on their pages ?    

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 72 of 114

@oldleswrote:

Wher are BT in all this scamm activity ?  I am still convinced there is a 'leak' of customer information from the Openreach dispatch (in India ? ) , last year I had some line problems. The day after it was fixed, scam calls started.. A few knew my name.. Now last Friday again another line problem on my phone was closed down ( 3 weeks of problems ) this morning ...  Asian 'gentleman' (Scotish call number) he knew my name ,, said my Windows PC licence was due to expire... eventually I told him what i thought of him, and he should go tell his mother what he does..

But does BT follow up reports  and anything posted on their pages ?    

As has been said many times the numbers are spoofed so there is nothing for any ISP to follow up.

0 Ratings
oldles
Contributor
Message 73 of 114

My point was not  about tracking the spoofed  numbers .. However the link between OR repairs and scam calls needs to be investigated ..  BT could start by emailing ( not calling them ) customers who have had line problems closed and  if they have had any scam callers who knew their name immidiatly after ? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 74 of 114

In an attempt to keep posts in one thread:-

There’s yet another variation of scam calls, which this time comes from”Ofcom”. There’s no point in giving the specific number, as it’s clear that it’s spoofed.

It’s a good generalised statement, saying that your internet service will be terminated etc.

Report this to the BT scam calls database......It will be blocked automatically in time.

Another caller 000000000000 is already blocked by this BT database reporting system.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 75 of 114

What I want to know is what BT can do with spoofed calls which are genuine numbers of people and/or businesses???

Surely these cannot simply be blocked? Also, even if they can be identified as originating from a VoIP call, they can't block either because many businesses are moving to this form of "telecoms" ... 

I guess we will all be rid of this on landlines when BT stop using landlines in the next few years. It will then move wholesale to mobiles - hah!

Rob.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 76 of 114

@RobFletcher wrote:

What I want to know is what BT can do with spoofed calls which are genuine numbers of people and/or businesses???

Surely these cannot simply be blocked? Also, even if they can be identified as originating from a VoIP call, they can't block either because many businesses are moving to this form of "telecoms" ... 

I guess we will all be rid of this on landlines when BT stop using landlines in the next few years. It will then move wholesale to mobiles - hah!

Rob.

It’s difficult. The mobile service is becoming an addiction - open to misuse.

If we move to mobile only services, we can  then be pestered every few minutes on our mobiles, when indoors or outside.

I keep the mobile in Airplane mode when out on foot and always in car. If there’s something urgent pending, they can wait as before.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 77 of 114

Yup, feel the same about mobiles. Mine is a Nokia, monochrome, no "apps", no internet, no camera - simply a phone. Charge lasts about a week or more. Used to make telephone calls when I want to make them - that is, I switch it on to make a call. It's only left on if I am expecting a call - usually, "where are you?" ... cheap to run, about £30 per year!

Good luck to spammers who try to call my number - ho ho !

Rob.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 78 of 114

Often when I report a number the form briefly flashes up with some red writing on it, which I assume is something wrong with the numbers I have entered. The form then jumps to the "Thank you" screen, so I never get to read the red writing to see what might be wrong.

Any ideas what this  is about and how I can get to see the "error page" before it says thank you???????

Just hit 801 scam calls gone to voicemail!

Rob.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 79 of 114

@RobFletcher wrote:

Often when I report a number the form briefly flashes up with some red writing on it, which I assume is something wrong with the numbers I have entered. The form then jumps to the "Thank you" screen, so I never get to read the red writing to see what might be wrong.

Any ideas what this  is about and how I can get to see the "error page" before it says thank you???????

Just hit 801 scam calls gone to voicemail!

Rob.

If you are reporting an international scam call on the BT report page, then it doesn’t accept international number format, I.e. +Country Code. It has to be the full number, I.e. 00 Country Code.

Otherwise It gives an error.

Strange that Call Protect only supports + Country Code entries.........It’s one of those oddities.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 80 of 114

It does it for "normal" numbers sometimes ... I don't bother reporting the international ones ...

It would help if it allowed you to actually see what it was moaning about though ...

Rob

0 Ratings