Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 81 of 114

Re: Report a Scam call

Hi @SeanD ,

I notice that one of your main competitors have massiveley fewer posts about Scam calls than are on here.  Why do you think that is please ?

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 82 of 114

@pompey1898wrote:

Hi @SeanD ,

I notice that one of your main competitors have massiveley fewer posts about Scam calls than are on here.  Why do you think that is please ?

Out of interest @pompey1898 , who are you referring to? If it's the 'leader' in pay TV it's probably because call blocking is free and operates online through your own list of contacts. The BT equivelant level of blocking either requires you to buy blocking handsets or pay for the premium service which is around 3 quid a month I think.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 83 of 114

@pompey1898wrote:

Hi @SeanD ,

Hi.

Are you referring to forums like Plusnet, Sky and TT?

Those forums are not any where near as busy as this, possibly because BT still has the most landlines by a quite a bit. Scammers would also know this and may want only to attack BT in general, despite a lot of calls ending up at other companies due to number porting (which can't be picked out from the Ofcom lists - as those list ranges allocated to companies).

0 Ratings
citizenz
Contributor
Message 84 of 114

My husband managed to get caught by a scam last week.  'Microsoft'!!   I do not know why he was not more careful.

So now I have done the deed and unplugged the phone.  I feel strongly that I am paying for something I am not only not using but which for my peace of mind I have had to disconnect.  It is called free as part of my broadband package but it is not just useless but an assault on my life.   

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 85 of 114

@Andy_Nwrote:

@pompey1898wrote:

Hi @SeanD ,

Hi.

Are you referring to forums like Plusnet, Sky and TT? Yes.  The one that has about two thirds of the number of subcribers as BT.  However there are only a very few posts about scam calls

Those forums are not any where near as busy as this, possibly because BT still has the most landlines by a quite a bit. Scammers would also know this and may want only to attack BT in general, Since the messages on here suggest these spoofed numbers are random, how do the scammers target BT customers ?despite a lot of calls ending up at other companies due to number porting (which can't be picked out from the Ofcom lists - as those list ranges allocated to companies).

Distinguished Guru
Message 86 of 114

@pompey1898wrote:

@Andy_Nwrote:

@pompey1898wrote:

Hi @SeanD ,

Hi.

Are you referring to forums like Plusnet, Sky and TT? Yes.  The one that has about two thirds of the number of subcribers as BT.  However there are only a very few posts about scam calls

Those forums are not any where near as busy as this, possibly because BT still has the most landlines by a quite a bit. Scammers would also know this and may want only to attack BT in general, Since the messages on here suggest these spoofed numbers are random, how do the scammers target BT customers ?

The spoofed numbers are the ones the scammers set as the called from number - not the numbers they call. They don't target BT numbers, just that most of the numbers that they call seem to BT ones. BT seem to get most of the blame for this, I believe that's just the way it is. With regard reports of scam calls in other forums - as I said, those forums are very lightly used.

It's even possible due to the small amount of posts, people can easily see the topics and can look at the posts/replies without resorting to posting new topics. As "our" forums are quite busy, it can be tricky to see and search for relevant items to check for help, hence very often we see very similar posts appearing.

0 Ratings
RoyMS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 87 of 114

EDIT: BT are aiming to switch off their landline system by 2025 so it will mean that you will need to use either mobile or  VOIP.

What does this mean, and especially what does it mean for the security harassment concerns expressed in this thread?

Does it mean that the entire landline system will disappear and our current phones become useless?

Does it mean that VOIP users  (ex-Landline users) in BT will be more protected or less protected from spam and illegal calls?

Given the discussions above about abuse of VOIP that already occurs, it does not look like a positive step forward.

Before providing further services like this BT will need to be made to take some responsibility for the costs, and harassment their service now causes. The phone system needs to be able to provide some form of authenticated service (only calls from legitimate organisations etc), with severe penalties if that service gets misused at customer expense.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 88 of 114

Hi

When I report a scam call, sometimes I see a brief flash of an error page with some red text on it ... I believe that incorrectly formed numbers will be rejectd and you seemingly get a message - the problem is the page is only visible momentarily, so it's not a lot of use!

Today I entered  0131 299 8076 as a scam call, and saw a brief flash of this error page and red text! I haven't a clkue as to why this number was rejected. I did it again, and all was fine!

Any chance of someone telling the web page coding team to allow us to actually see the error/message page???

Rob.

0 Ratings
oldles
Contributor
Message 89 of 114

Has someone in BT worked out  a way to detect the scammers, I had a call from "Windows PC  licence authority "in India ! ... (Paul....He knew my name ! ) " did  I know my licence was being withdrawn " (or  some thing similar ) ... before i could chat for an hour.. someone pulled the plug ? Still think there's a  info leak at Open Reach ...

0 Ratings
oldles
Contributor
Message 90 of 114

So again , the " windows licensing authority "  called me ,, Knew my name , address , his call very important, i was going to loose my computer.. ... I kept him going for a few minutes.. then blew my top , told him to go tell his mother  what he does ... Someone somewhere is selling these scammers personal information... 

0 Ratings