Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ojcamps
Message 1 of 5

Reported Phone Line Fault but no Phone exists

Go to solution

I have been having my broadband dropping connection over the past few days causing me to contact BT support.

After a ferw basic tests the call centre support went to test my phone line. A fault was found on my phone line but they said it was internal to my property. I previously stated multiple times that I do not have a phone plugged in as I only have the phone line to have an internet connection.

With the call out charge being around £130 I do not want an engineer out to my property unless they have actually detected a problem.

Does having a phone plugged into the phone socket affect if a fault is found on the phone line?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Reported Phone Line Fault but no Phone exists

Go to solution

@ojcampswrote:

I have been having my broadband dropping connection over the past few days causing me to contact BT support.

After a ferw basic tests the call centre support went to test my phone line. A fault was found on my phone line but they said it was internal to my property. I previously stated multiple times that I do not have a phone plugged in as I only have the phone line to have an internet connection.

With the call out charge being around £130 I do not want an engineer out to my property unless they have actually detected a problem.

Does having a phone plugged into the phone socket affect if a fault is found on the phone line?

Hi @ojcamps

This something you can check yourself. There are many variables depending on your Master Socket. If you use the Test Socket this eliminates your internal wiring so will prove in advance if it’s internal or external. https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40231/c/346

ojcamps
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

I have currently got my wire plugged into the test socket and have followed all of the check in "Home wiring and broadband set-up - a checklist". From this I could not see a problem with my setup. My actual connection has been fine untill my router suddenly started losing internet connection randomly.

But when I was speaking to the call centre, they were going to 1st run a test on my phone line and then my broadband. After the phone line test they concluded that the test had failed an informed me that the error was internal to my property and would need to send an engineer round. The broadband test was never conducted. 

I do not know if the fact I do not have a land line phone connected resulted in there test coming back as a failure. I do rent a land line off of BT but it is only needed for broadband. With my mobile phones being my main form of contact, I did not see it as necisary to have a home phone.

Do you think the fact I do not have a home phone caused there phone line test to fail?

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@ojcampswrote:

After a ferw basic tests the call centre support went to test my phone line. A fault was found on my phone line but they said it was internal to my property. I previously stated multiple times that I do not have a phone plugged in as I only have the phone line to have an internet connection.A corded phone is an essential diagnosis tool and at £5 is a pretty cheap way of avoiding a charge of £129.99.  I suspect one of the gurus might pop in with his commets on the value of wetting current as well.

Does having a phone plugged into the phone socket affect if a fault is found on the phone line?I don't think so

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@ojcamps I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your connection.  Not having a phone plugged into the line won't affect the test results. 

If you could even borrow a phone from a friend or relative for testing purposes it will help determine if the fault is on the network or within your home wiring.

Plugging it into the test socket behind the removable faceplate isolates any internal wiring that could be causing the issue.

test socket.jpg

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings