Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sportbuffer
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Repurpose hub phone

Go to solution

When I first got broadband, BT were very keen to push a hub phone on to me. Now I am upgrading, the new hub won't support it. I know it long ago ceased working as an internet phone, but is there any way to continue using it as a landline phone, or do I have to buy a new telephone and reinput all my numbers into it simply because Bt decided that it couldn't be bothered to support the technology it so enthusiastically promoted?

In which case has anybody got any ideas for repurposing it?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Repurpose hub phone

Go to solution

You can, provided you keep the home hub as the base station.

Are you upgrading to BT Infinity, or are you on normal broadband, because I have two separate diagrams?

Here is the BT Infinity version which can also be used with the home hub 6. If you need the normal broadband one, then let me know, its very similar.

If you have a master socket with two separate outlets, then you can omit the first microfilter, and just use the phone socket, and plug the HH5 or 6 into the broadband socket.

hh5phoneinfinity.jpg

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Just in case anyone is wondering how this works.

The home hubs that support the hub phones, pass the normal landline, via the ADSLcable, into the internal phone base station. There is an internal relay that used to switch to Broadband Talk, which is not used any more.

The default is always the landline, but the incoming ring has to be routed to the correct point, which is why the hub settings are important.

Its also important, if you did have Broadband Talk, to make sure you "disable telephony" otherwise you may not get dial tone.

Highlighted
Sportbuffer
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
This worked, thanks, although the clock and calendar don't work anymore, nor does caller ID.
0 Ratings