Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
smit247
Message 1 of 5

Repurposing an old 2nd line as main master

Go to solution

Hi there

I'm new to the forum so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Basically we moved into a new house a couple of months back and signed up to BT, all is going great with the service. No complaints there.

My issue is that our master socket is not ideally located - it's in the kitchen which isn't ideal for the wifi, and it's also not great as the router and powerline adapter socket (required - very thick stone walls!) are very much on show.

We do have a BT socket in the attic conversion - but it would seem that this is a master socket for a second business line that the previous occupants had installed. Tracing the wires visually down the side of the house it looks as though the main BT line comes into a metal junction box on the front of the house then splits to our kitchen and up to the attic conversion.

So my question is - would it be possible for an engineer to simply change over the connections in this junction box, so that the defunct business socket in the attic became our live master socket? I could then have my router/powerline adapter master upstairs in the office and not in the way in the kitchen. 

My other option is pay for a relocation of the master socket to the corner of the living room - I suspect this was not originally done though due to the afforementioned thickness of the stone walls.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Repurposing an old 2nd line as main master

Go to solution

Yes, it would be an extremely simple matter to swap the pairs over in the junction box. However, if you have any extensions wired from the kitchen master socket they will obviously no longer work without being rewired to the attic.

0 Ratings
smit247
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
That wouldn't be a problem I don't think - would it need a BT engineer to do the job, or is it as simple as just swapping the pairs over?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

I couldn't possibly comment, but I know what I would do. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
smit247
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution