cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Retrieve old landline

I have moved from EE to Virgin Media. Virgin media were meant to be transferring my old landline number however it kept failing. Now the landline number has been disconnected and I believe it was originally a BT number. I really want this number back and was wondering if there is any way I can retrieve it either via BT, EE or Virgin Media

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Retrieve old landline

@Katieh7557 

It the number was originally issued to you by BT, and you are living at the same address, then the only way you can get your number back, is to get your phone service from BT Retail.

EE did not own your number, so they could not transfer it to Virgin Media, it simply returns to BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

So could I make a contract with BT and request that number? Then cancel within the cancellation period and get it transferred to virgin media?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

You would need to take a contract with BT and get phone installed with a different number. Once setup then with help from forum mods they may be able to get number back but no guarantee timescale would take longer than cooling off so you would be in a fixed term contract with BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

@Katieh7557 wrote:
So could I make a contract with BT and request that number? Then cancel within the cancellation period and get it transferred to virgin media?

No, once you cancel, the number returns to BT.

You would need to have a working line from BT first. You would be initially given a new number, and then you could request your old number back, which could take a while.

Once you have your number back, you would be free to transfer to another provider, but you would have to pay the full cancellation charges.

0 Ratings