Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Justin222
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Retrieving a landline number lost in house move

Hi,

I recently moved house and tried (unsuccessfully) to port my landline number to the new address. This is critical as my wife runs her business from home.

I was with Sky at the old address. I contacted BT and explained that I wanted to switch to BT so they were able to port the number. I was advised this was all ok and set up.

Nearer the move, I was contacted by BT saying this was not possible. 3 days before the move, they told me I would have had to switch to BT AT MY OLD ADDRESS before the move date - with 2 weeks notice - then they would be able to port the number. Unfortunately the BT Salesman who placed the original order did not tell me this, and hence they were unable to help.

I had to therefore cancel my order with BT as there wasn't enough time left before the move. I moved with Sky and when they set up the landline at the new address, I was provided with a new number.

I have since tried everything to get my old number back. Sky tell me they do not own the number, and they are unable to get it back for me as they do not offer a porting service.

I spoke to a BT Salesman again, explained the situation, and was told it should be possible to get the old number back at the new address. I therefore put through a new order with BT, for my old number, at my new address.

After making the order, I have been told by another BT department that it will not be possible as the old number is no longer in use.

Is there a way to get the old number at all? The old address and number is on the same exchange as our new address. The old number has not been realloacted to anyone else and neither Sky nor BT say they own the number. Please help!

Thanks

Justin

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Retrieving a landline number lost in house move

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

If  you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Note:- If the number was originally allocated by BT, then it will still exist, but only on the same physical exchange. If you are no longer connected to that same exchange, then its not possible to keep the number.

0 Ratings
Justin222
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am a Residential Customer with Sky (and was signing up to Residential on BT), but my wife does work from home.

The number is definitely on the same physical exchange - we have only moved a few streets away and BT have confirmed the exchange is the same.

We originally signed up to Sky who gave us the number. However, they say they don't actually own the number. Do they rent it from BT Wholesale I may have read somewhere?

How do I go about getting this number?

Thanks

Justin

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

If you wife is running a registered business from home, then that would be against BTs Residential T&Cs, and there would be no compensation for loss of business.

You said you were originally with Sky, in that case the number would belong to Sky, and not to BT Retail.

Sky have their own equipment in the exchange, and their own number ranges.

Please can you clarify that?   BT Retail  does not deal with the allocation of numbers.

If the number does belong to BT, then you would first have to transfer your service to BT. You would be given a new number, but you should be able to ask for a renumber to regain your original number if you have proof that you were the owner of that number.

0 Ratings
Justin222
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Ok thanks for the reply Keith.

So if Sky do own the number, and they say they are unable to port it to the new address, is there any way of getting this number? Are BT able to switch it on the exchange? They would have been able to do this if I had switched the number whilst still at the old property, so is it possible to connect it at the exchange to the new property?

I don't mind becoming a BT Commercial customer if that's appropriate. I'm just trying to figure out if there's any way that we can regain the number without it being lost.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

If Sky own the number, then its on their equipment in the exchange, and has nothing to do with BT Retail, Sky simply rent a pair of wires from Openreach, so there is nothing to stop them arranging a home move, just like BT Retail would do.

There is no reason why they could not to that, but as you have made a request to transfer to BT Retail, that number on the Sky equipment will be lost, and will return back to Sky.

Its not always possible to port a number from Sky to BT Retail due to technical limitations.

I am not sure what your best course of action is, if you wish to transfer to BT, but I will ask for advice, although I suspect that the answer you already have from BT, is probably correct.

0 Ratings