Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markjay
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Retrieving lost landline number

Hi.

I recently moved my landline and broadband from BT to Vodafone - a decision I regret more and more each day!

I requested to transfer my existing line number which should not have been a problem as I wasn't moving house but Vodafone still gave me a new number rather than keeping my existing number as requested.

I have been in contact with Vodafone a number of times to try and resolve this but they insist they cannot port my number. The reason they give is that the number belongs to sky even though BT were my previous providers. I have contacted BT and they have said the number is still available and there is no reason why Vodafone could not port it. I also contacted sky but they said it was nothing to do with them as BT were my previous providers.

Basically what i want to know is is there any way I can arrange to port the number myself as Vodafone are obviously incapable of doing it?

Alternatively if I could somehow get out of my contract with Vodafone and move back to BT can I retrieve my old number?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Retrieving lost landline number

Welcome to this user forum.

Its up to Vodaphone to sort this out, as they are your provider. Have you ever been with Sky in the past, before you transferred to BT?

0 Ratings
markjay
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Hi Keith. I agree Vodafone should be sorting it out but they seem incapable or unwilling to do so. I'm waiting for a call back from a manager but don't think their position is going to change.

Yes I was with sky before going to BT but BT managed to port my number withoit problem so i dont see how vodafone can't.

I think my only hope is to get my contract voided with Vodafone and go back to BT in the hope I can get my old number back.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Then the number would belong to Sky, and was ported to BT, but Sky still own that number. When you moved to Vodaphone, the number would have reverted back to Sky, which is why you have lost it.

BT would have been able to port the number from Sky, because it was probably in the same number range as the local BT exchange, which is why BT say they can see the number exists, but as it belongs to Sky, it would not be available on the local exchange.

I cannot see any way of getting the number back, even if you went back to BT, as Sky would eventually want to issue the number to one of its customers.

0 Ratings
markjay
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi Keith

Sorry if this is a stupid point but when the number ported from sky to BT did the ownership not change then so that the number then belongs to BT? Should Vodafone not then be able to do the same and take over ownership from BT? Or is it the case that when the number wasn't ported the ownership reverted back to sky? I just don't understand why the BT person I spoke to said it was still available and could be ported on request from Vodafone.

I actually think now that Vodafone just didn't bother trying to port my number till I complained and now it's too late.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

The ownership always stays with the original owner of the number. It can be ported "loaned" to another provider in some cases, but it will always revert to its original owner if the porting is removed.

Ofcom allocated specific number ranges to each provider when the market was opened up to other providers.

BT may see it on the exchange number range, but they do not own it, as it would be part of the block of numbers allocated to Sky.

I think the BT person was probably mistaken.

I cannot see BT Retail can help with this, now you have moved to Vodaphone. Did Vodaphone arrange for a number change announcement, so that people ringing your old number would be told you new one?

I think all you can do is to contact people, and tell them your new number. It would be the same if you have moved house. I assume Vodaphone own the new number, so you may have the same issue again if you move providers.

If you wanted to come back to BT, then again you would have a new number, but this time it would be a BT Retail owned number.

One day, when everyone is on VOIP, then you will be able to keep your number for life.

0 Ratings
markjay
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Thanks Keith. You've answered my next question too! Will this happen again when I leave Vodafone.

The whole process is a bit of a farce especially given that the Ofcom guidance suggests all numbers are portable except when you move house or transfer from virgin media.

I guess I'll just have to accept this and move on. Vodafone s customer service however leaves a lot to be desired!

Thanks for your help.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

I agree, number porting is a mess, and its an issue which crops up time and time again on this forum.

Moving house with BT is fine, provided your new house is connected to the same BT exchange, otherwise you have to accept a new number.

The only way I could see you could get your number back, would be to move to Sky, as I caanot see they would have re-used the number yet.

This is off topic for a BT Retail forum, so I will leave it at that.

0 Ratings