cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Toqs88
Message 1 of 6

Retrieving old landline number

Even after requesting a number port request before our old landline number was disconnected, Virgin failed to port the old  number which was used at the same property for over 20 years by my parents who are both over 70 and have this number referenced in all hospital and medical records and elsewhere. 

Virgin are now telling it can't be ported across as its been disconnected and gone back to BT and I have to contact BT to get this number back by activating a new line from BT at the same property.

Plz help! 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Retrieving old landline number

There are other similar posts  if virgin cannot port the number now then you may have to get a new phone line from BT and initially a new number. Once line up and running with BT then post back here and we can see if mods can get your old number back - BUT there is no guarantee mods will be successful 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

@Toqs88 

As the number belongs to BT Retail, then it can only be provided to a BT Retail customer.

The only way your parents can get the number back, is to either return to BT , or have an extra line installed from BT. They may be able to cancel the phone part of their Virgin contract.

This can only work if they are living at the same address, or an address which is connected to the same exchange, as they were  when their number was first issued by BT.

If that is what you decide, then once they are a BT Retail customer, help can be offered here, to get their  number back.

pompey1898
Expert
Message 4 of 6

Hi @Toqs88 ,

Apologies if I have missed something, I could not work it out, but who is your current phone provider please ?

0 Ratings
Toqs88
Message 5 of 6

Current provider is Virgin, number being ported across was also with Virgin so old account with Virgin was closed and a new account opened on a different name, however the number was originally from BT many years ago. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@Toqs88 wrote:

Current provider is Virgin, number being ported across was also with Virgin so old account with Virgin was closed and a new account opened on a different name, however the number was originally from BT many years ago. 

That is why you lost the number. It can only be ported once from BT to Virgin, or any other provider. If Virgin then close the account and open a new one, then the number will revert back to BT, as Virgin do not own the number.

It would have been the same if you had tried to move the number from Virgin, to another provider other than BT, you would have still lost the number, as its owned by BT. All providers have their own number ranges allocated by Ofcom.

The only solutions are those which I have already posted.

If you must keep your TV and broadband with Virgin, then you would have to get a phone line from BT, and then you could cancel your phone line from Virgin, if they will allow you to remove it from your package.

See this similar thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Virgin-lost-number-to-BT/m-p/1977548#M67143