cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JaySam
Message 1 of 8

Retrieving old number of 40 years after Sky accidentally cancelled Sky Talk - Can BT help?

Hi,

Writing on behalf of my in-laws (both pensioners) who are trying to re-join BT, after Sky Talk accidently cancelled their phone subscription. As a result they have "lost" their original number (a number they have had for 40 years!).  Even though Sky reinstated their phone service they cannot retrieve their old number.

Apparently the Service Level Agreement between BSkyB and BT openreach doesn't have any significant "buffer" or "grace period" where BSkyB can work with BT to retrieve the old number.

Anyway, my in-laws want to join BT again with the hope of retrieving their old number - however the customer service rep at BT was most unhelpful, he seemed very keen to sign them up and said that he can definitely put in a request to get their own number back, but towards the end of the call before my father-in-law committed to a new account with BT, the Customer Service Rep, "sorry we cannot give you your old number back"!

Surely when numbers are "ported" between providers or "handed back" to BT they don't just vanish or get immediately reassigned to another customer?  So there should be a way to give my in-laws their number back if they re-join BT? 

From a business point of view, it is in BT's interest to hand back my in-laws their number as they get a lot of phone calls  (so more voice traffic for BT!) and if this number is ever reassigned to some other customer, that customer will surely feel disgruntled, as my in-laws are popular people, and of that generation where their landline is sacred and their number is ingrained in their brains and feels as special as a door number!!

So, please please can someone at BT help me find out what I can do to ensure my in-laws get their old number back???

Thank you

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Retrieving old number of 40 years after Sky accidentally cancelled Sky Talk - Can BT help?

I am not sure that BT Retail can help, however I have asked a moderator to post on this thread with any comments. It may be the case that you have to order a BT line first, then see if its possible to get the old number back. It will not be re-alllocated to anyone else right away,

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 3 of 8

Re: Retrieving old number of 40 years after Sky accidentally cancelled Sky Talk - Can BT help?

Hi Jaysam, 

Thanks for your post. 

Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile and I will be in touch to help. 

Cheers,

OlgaC 

0 Ratings
JaySam
Message 4 of 8

Done! Thanks

0 Ratings
JaySam
Message 5 of 8

Hi... Any thoughts on this discussion - I really want to sort out this problem for my in-laws. Thanks Jay
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

The forum mods normally reply within 3/5 working days after you have contacted them
They will contact you personally by email or phone
0 Ratings
jamcef
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Hi there JaySam, did you have any Joy in retreiving your old phone land line number for in-laws. I am asking as i have just had the same probelm with sky and I have had my number for over 28 years. Hour and a half last night onto Sky... on with BT today again 4 phone calls later and still no further forward apart from option of  taking out new bt line then request renumber but no guarantee of retrieving my old number.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

The OP has not replied since November 2014 and many posters do not return if problems are solved as the forum mods were involved it would look like it was resolved
0 Ratings