Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

SMS TEXT ON LANDLINE

Go to solution

I have caller display on my line and a text enabled base unit and handset. For years, I could send and receive texts as texts without any problems. In July, 2019, the incoming text messages were only received as oral messages. Outgoing was fine and caller display still worked. Despite visits by two engineers, no fault can be identified anywhere. I have received a reduced rental charge but, despite involving the Ombudsman (complete waste of time) I cannot get the full service restored. When I text 'Register' to 00000, I get an oral message saying that I am registered but do not have caller display on the line and to contact service provider. Nothing has changed at my end and I have tried a new base unit and handset. Any ideas?

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: SMS TEXT ON LANDLINE

Go to solution

@jrn 

Who do you pay your line rental to?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

BT

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

@jrn wrote:

BT

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

Hi @jrn welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm really sorry your texts are coming through as speech. When you get a call is the callers number still displayed on your phone?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

@jrn  Are the texts from a Three mobile by any chance? Have a read of this very long thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/SMS-Text-delivered-as-voice/td-p/1895705

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks for coming in on this Moderator.

They are coming through as 'Unavailable' because they are being caught in the system and converted from text to voice. The system is given as the source as part of the oral message. Unless picked up by my answerphone, they are saved in the system and there is a charge for accessing them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks Licquorice.

It applies to texts from all networks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

Hi @jrn thanks for getting back to me if normal calls (not texts) are showing as unavailable on caller display this will also result in the texts not coming through. I suspect this is a caller display fault rather than an issue with BT text. 

Most caller display faults are caused by a problem with the broadband equipment in the exchange not allowing the caller id information to pass through it and a specific request needs to be sent to the engineers to swap out the faulty equipment.

I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch and we'll be happy to help.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks, Neil.

Incoming telephone callers are normally identified. 'Unavailable' normally only comes up for oral text messages and spam calls. Otherwise, we get the number or 'international' or 'withheld'. I do not think that there is a problem with caller display as such and our kit translates numbers into names if the number is in our phone book. We do not have a problem with outgoing texts.

0 Ratings