Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 27

Re: SMS TEXT ON LANDLINE

Go to solution

Latest update.

For some reason, the engineer booking did not get to Openreach so I waited in all morning for nothing- or rather for £25, missed appointment compensation.

Re-arranged for Tuesday and the engineer has been asked to bring a text enabled landline telephone to prove once and for all whose kit is at fault - I doubt he will bring it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 27

Go to solution

Latest update - NOTHING!

After waiting for twenty four hours for the text service to be operated manually, we are back where we have been - everything working but cannot received text as text, only as speech. And yet again, the person who was supposed to be handling it did not ring back today as promised to see if was working.

Still no explanation as to why the system says that we do not have caller display on the line when we do and everyone accepts this. No-one is saying that it is a standard default message, no-one is saying that the system can detect whether our kit works. The engineer did his best and tried to get somewhere with BT but it has all failed again. 

I remain convinced that this is a fault in the software at the BT end but they will not do anything to check it out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 27

Go to solution

Sorry thought I had done an update after the engineer visit on Tuesday. 

On and off, the engineer was working on our problem for about three and a half hours. He did not bring a text enabled landline telephone because Openreach does not have them. I sent him a text from the landline, showed that we have caller display working and played a recording of the message from BT SMS saying that we do not have caller display on the line. He did a full check of the line and could not find anything wrong. He checked with colleagues to try to find a solution. He looked at our kit and could not find anything obviously wrong. He then took our new base unit and new handset (not the ones in use at home) to the exchange and put them on a line without broadband and got the same results as we do. 

He spoke to various people at BT, some of whom seemed less than helpful. Then it was suggested that we switch off speech text 'to force it to be sent as text'. Did not think it would work but tried it. The person who suggested it rang back after five minutes during which time it had not worked and said we should leave it for twenty minutes and he would ring back later - he did not ring back. The engineer went through to someone else and they said it could be rectified by switching the system on manually but it would take twenty four hours to take effect. They would ring back forty eight hours later

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 24 of 27

Go to solution

Hi @jrn, I'm really sorry you didn't get the callback, one of the moderation team will get in touch with you today.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks, Neil.

If someone is going to phone be best if after 1500 today.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 27

Go to solution

FINAL UPDATE - hopefully.

Thanks to the brilliant Stuart we are finally back in business!!!!

He managed to persuade Openreach to check why we were getting the message that we did not have caller display. They established that the number that sends out text messages was blocked on our BT Call Protect. The blocking was removed and the text now works again and we get text messages as text. The block was put on about when we stopped getting text as text. 

Why it was blocked, I do not know but we were getting so many spam calls, including some from cloned numbers, that it must have been included at some time.

Such a simple solution - why could no-one have checked this before? And our kit is exonerated.

Anyway thanks to BT Forum and Stuart - we are most grateful!!!!!

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 27

Go to solution

Good result and thanks for posting useful information that may help others in the future.

0 Ratings