Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevetucknott
Contributor
Message 11 of 32

Re: SMS Text - delivered as voice

Go to solution

You're right, I can. But that doesn't tell me why my mobile to landline is coming through via voice or if it is to anyother destination apart from mine (ie it may still be a setting or set up issue on my landline number). I already know the phone does receive text from some sources (I have loads of texts from BT as text - and texting from my landline to my landline comes through fine).

Pain.

I do appreciate why you don't want to though.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 32

Go to solution

@stevetucknott sorry we wouldn't have a test number to give you to try this on. Do you have caller display active on your line? The text is converted to speech if you don't have this calling feature on the line.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
stevetucknott
Contributor
Message 13 of 32

Go to solution

Neil,

Yep - *#234# says caller display is all fine. I have also set the curfew to 5 just in case that had any effect. I have registered the phone again with 'register' to 00000 and also 'reset' to 00000. Both appear to do the same - I get an ack to my landline (perfectly ok as text, not voice) saying the service is ready to go. I can text FROM my phone to my mobile ok and to itself ok.

As I have tried to explain, the text comes through from some 'sources' - IE texts from BT saying my service was active came through ok. Texts from my landline to my landline appear ok. At the moment it is only texts from my mobile that come through as voice - and my mobile is 3 (ID Mobile).

So it just seemed to be related to that forum issue from2014 - ie that there was some potential issue with 3 and text to BT. Maybe clutching at straws.

I have been trying to get onto the ID community to see if anythuing had been reported that end - but I'm not sure how prevalent texting to landline is (and nayway at the moment I'm waiting for a forum activation EMail to come through that has taken all afternoon so far).

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 32

Go to solution

@stevetucknott thanks for confirming that, it does sound like it could be a compatibility issue with your mobile network if texts are coming through from other sources. I did check our system info and there is no mention of which providers do or don't support this feature but it did mention that if they didn't the text would automatically convert to speech. Sorry I couldn't help further. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
stevetucknott
Contributor
Message 15 of 32

Go to solution

Neil,

I get a bit confused here on thius site. Are you actually from BT or just a forum member?

The problem I have is that I came back to BT partly because of the landline text service. If you're saying that the service 'works sometimes' but that nobody can tell you when it will or won't work, then that is a bit of a bijou snagette isn't it? As I can't even change my mobile, as I can't guarantee that the new network will work. If BT is aware that the texting does/doesn't work with certain networks then the obvious best thing would be to fix that, but if that isn't possible/cost effective then at least publish which networks do/don't work.

Finally, given that this issue also seems to occur (going by other posts) when services at BT change (one customer reported that they had the same issue when they switched from a bundled Anytime calls package)- is it actually certain that it's a problem with my mobile network/BT interface rather than some other issue? It seems that I was lucky when I used the service before as it just worked - so I stupidly assumed it worked for all SMS text messages irrespective of source.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 32

Go to solution

@NeilO is a BT Employee.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
stevetucknott
Contributor
Message 17 of 32

Go to solution

OK - quick update.

I reported this to BT about a week back and they raised a VOL... issue. When I called, BT to check their progress I was told that the issue had been closed as fixed, even though the issue was still occuring.

The support person then questioned my use of the text service, basically saying '...why are you using text to landline - you should use a mobile...' and progress from that to blaming my handsets and then saying I would need to subscribe to their tech experts to get the issue fixed (a paid subscription) as my handsets aren't BT. Hmmmm.

I did manage to talk to his manager (given that I had already been through BT chat, various BT support numbers - including being directed to BT's mobile department via their automated '...tell me in a few words what your problem is...' system) and basically explained that someone had to own this problem. I report a problem to BT - if that department can't resolve the fault, pass it to the team that can. The manager said he would look into it (although he stressed he wouldn't normally do that) and get through to the correct team and get back to me by 4pm. By 17:30 still nothing. Then the phone rang and the initial support member told me his manager had investigated the issue and it was most probably my handsets. I reiterated time and time again, that I was receiving trexts ok from SOME sources - so the handsets were working fine and anyway how could my handsets proactively talk back down the phone line and tell a text message coming in to be delivered in one way or another - and not only that but only for some texts. Anyway aftera prolonged and heated exchange, I agreed that I would talk to my handset provider and my mobile network provider again (I had already been in touch and they had also denied responsibility).

My feeling on this, since the outset, is that the issue is an interface issue. I had said that to both the BT support team member and his manager. But neither wanted to listen at all.

Anyway, I spoke to my handset provider (panasonic)as requested, and they said categorically that it's not the handset and that there is no way that handset model can differentiate between the source network of a text message. The handset (as I knew) has limited config options for text (mainly service center no and private mailbox config). So I went back to ID (three) and they again denied it was them as well.

So I delved a bit more - and 03344440000 (the number that delivers the voice message) is run by a telephony company in Leeds called AQL. They provide various services. So I contacted them, and finally got someone who at least talked sense. They deal with other telephony network service companies, and have links with BOTH BT and Three. In the converstaion with them, they said that they could see my messages in their system, but in my case, the message had already been flagged for delivery by voice before they received it. So that decision was not theirs, and  they weer then just contracted to provide a text-to-speech delivery system. BUT because of client cofidentiality, they couldn't tell me which of BT/Three were their customer. Aaaaaaarrrrgggh. So the comapny who knows where the faulty is, won't divulge it to me. So I asked if they could raise the issue with their customer on my behalf. Still no joy. They did provide me with a very simple flowchart of how the delivery works though. Which was basically what I thjough anyway. Some interface somewhere is deciding that a perfectly valid text has to be delivered by voice. My problem is that I still don't know which of the following is true:

1) I send text. Text hits my mobile provider's system. They perform a destination check to see if destination is text enabled and if not pass the message to AQL for voice delivery. Three then is the originator and passing AQL the message and BT don't even see the message.

2) I send text. Text hits my mobile provider's system. They pass my message to the destination network and the destination network performs the destination check to see if it can handle text and if not pass the message to AQL for voice delivery. BT are passing AQL the message.

Obviously, the interface may have other checks that also effect the delivery method. But still, someone is doing the checks. I have been back to Three and asked them to re-open the issue their end and to tell where the message goes from their system - as if it goes to AQL, then they're performing the check that's causing voice delivery - and if it goes to BT unchanged, then BT are performing the check.....Unless there are other third parrty systems involved!

End of war and peace... not such a quick update after all...!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 32

Go to solution

Interesting update.

Given that you can receive text from other mobile operators satisfactorily, my money is on it being a problem with Three.

0 Ratings
stevetucknott
Contributor
Message 19 of 32

Go to solution

I would agree that they're favourite, BUT  the flow may be that it is always the destination network that performs some checks. I would hazarad a guess that when you first text from a landline, it creates an entry in a database on that network saying if the landline handles text. Ditto for 'register' to 00000 etc. So I'm not sure if EACH network maintains their own list of valid text enabled numbers or whether they share a common database. I also have no idea what other checks are performed (I thought I read somewhere when looking at this that i9nternational texts get delivered as voice - maybe I dreamt that!).

So as you see above, there seem to be at least two valid flows:

1) Three don't do checks and pass message direct to BT and BT checks their own database.

2) Three do the checks against 'some' database before passing valid merssages onto the target network.

The frustration is that a customer should be doing this at all. Interfaces are tricky, but I would reasonably expect whoever you passed this issue to (well, not British Mail or the NHS) to have the nous to actually investigate the issue and trace the flow of the text. AQL told me within 2 minutes that m y messages were in their system. So BT could do the same - and instead of the customer being to a bland 'It's not us' by everbody, at least provide the proof that it's not them. Ditto for Three (and I've said the same there). I also find it hard to take AQL's standpoint really, even though they may have confidentiality agreements, this is trying to fix an issue - not do some business espionage.  They appear to KNOW who's at fault - rtaher than me have to tackle both BT and Three.

So BT - is it you? Can you categorically state that you are not passing the message to AQL for voice delivery? Can you show me the message hitting your system and how then it was processed?

0 Ratings
stevetucknott
Contributor
Message 20 of 32

Go to solution

Deafening silence.

@NeilOis there anyway to trace a message from my mobile to my phone through your system? Three are denying it's them and you seem to be doing the same by not answering. But it's obviously not being done by me. So can you (as BT) prove you're not pasing the message to AQL for their text-to-speech delivery service?

0 Ratings