cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 25

Re: Scam Calls from BT (not really)

Go to solution

It’s a myth that ‘pressing 1’ raises a call charge , these scammers use the same call routing technology as legitimate call centres , basically the call centre makes many more calls that the number of agents available , rather that than paying an agent to making calls that may get no answer , or NU tone, or busy tone ( wasting the agents time ) the  call centre software makes all the calls , the ones that are answered and the recipient presses ‘1’ , the software passes the call to an agent , who then proceeds to try and ‘scam’ you, this is a more efficient use of the agents time as they don’t waste time on unanswered calls, if the call was being listened to from an answer machine message, pressing 1 does nothing because the caller has already hung up

Pressing ‘1’ costs you nothing at all in call charges , but by pressing 1 while the call is ‘live’, the  scammers may log your number and even if you don’t fall for their tricks that time , you may get calls from them again or even other scammers they pass your number onto, but if you want to string them along , pressing 1 won’t cost you anything at all.

Message 12 of 25

Go to solution
Well thats what i thought, so surely if those of us who dare all press 1 and tie an agent up as long as possible, they might stop this scam technique
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 25

Go to solution

I’ve never received a scam call ( I guess I’m in the minority there ) but I do like the thought of stringing a scammer along for a while before telling them to do one, there are some quite amusing videos where the scammer is kept dangling , thinking a pay day is just within their grasp , only for it to be snatched away when the ‘victim’ lets the scammer know in no uncertain terms that they know what they are up to.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 25

Go to solution

@Compuaccordwrote:

Have not dared to press 1 , just wondered if anyone had pressed 1 and been charged

According to numerous news articles over the years the answer is Yes, you can end up being charged and it's in the order of £hundreds or more

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 25

Go to solution
The only way to settle this is to hear from people who have pressed 1, please.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 25

Go to solution

Love to see the explanation for that!!

Don't believe everything you read in the press.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 25

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

Love to see the explanation for that!!

Don't believe everything you read in the press.

It's not just the press.

https://www.tradingstandards.uk/news-policy/news-room/2019/people-in-the-uk-warned-of-latest-amazon-...

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 25

Go to solution

Not a chance. How can pressing 1 whilst in receipt of a call initiate an outgoing call?

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 25

Go to solution
I don,t suppose there is anyone from bt willing to give us an official answer ?
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 25

Go to solution

@licquorice 

No Idea.

I never claimed to be an authority, I just commented on past articles that have been in the public domain. It's your choice whether you believe them or not.

0 Ratings