cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grodgers
Message 1 of 4

Scam Telephone Calls

My wife and I are being pestered with scam calls supposedly coming from BT and threatening to disconnect our service. I have spoken to BT, have emailed BT etc and all I get is to take a note of the number that is being used and pass it on. My problem is that these calls are coming 3 or 4 times a day with all different numbers so there are only so many you can block via your own telephone handset. My wife and I are now senior citizens and these calls are very stressful especially when I'm not around. She has got to the stage where she finds it hard to answer the phone as she never knows if the number is one of her far off friends living in Canada or Australia. BT, please as a matter of urgency do something about this plague or we will have to look elsewhere for out telephone service. Look forward to a reply from the forum and perhaps if I'm lucky one from BT as well!! Since joining BT in recent years I have been plagued with many problems as this forum might know and BT has never been in a hurry to help. They are quick to take your money each month on a given date but ever so slow to act when someone is in trouble. Here's hoping things might have changed or do I have to look elsewhere for a new provider?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Scam Telephone Calls

Hi @grodgers 

I am sure that you are aware that this is criminal activity and has nothing to do with BT . BT and all other providers if you do move cannot help you. The best solution is to help yourself by buying a Nuisance Call Blocker phone. It requires a reverse of thinking, so instead of blocking numbers you change to allowing numbers of friends, family and known contacts. I have always found that doctors, hospital and appointment callers are always happy to announce themselves. Since buying one of these phones I haven’t had a single cold call in three years. 

https://shop.bt.com/category/electronics,telephony,telephones/11206-58450000

pompey1898
Expert
Message 3 of 4

Hi @grodgers ,

If you look around the forum you will find numerous posts about the various scams.

I agree totally with @VeteranISPUser .  If you want to stop them totally then be proactive and get a call blocking phone.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

@grodgerswrote:

My wife and I are being pestered with scam calls supposedly coming from BT and threatening to disconnect our service. I have spoken to BT, have emailed BT etc and all I get is to take a note of the number that is being used and pass it on. My problem is that these calls are coming 3 or 4 times a day with all different numbers so there are only so many you can block via your own telephone handset. My wife and I are now senior citizens and these calls are very stressful especially when I'm not around. She has got to the stage where she finds it hard to answer the phone as she never knows if the number is one of her far off friends living in Canada or Australia. BT, please as a matter of urgency do something about this plague or we will have to look elsewhere for out telephone service. Look forward to a reply from the forum and perhaps if I'm lucky one from BT as well!! Since joining BT in recent years I have been plagued with many problems as this forum might know and BT has never been in a hurry to help. They are quick to take your money each month on a given date but ever so slow to act when someone is in trouble. Here's hoping things might have changed or do I have to look elsewhere for a new provider?

Hi.

This is a worldwide problem, pretty much affecting all telecom providers. If you move to a new one, chances are you will still get these scam calls.

If there was an easy fix, it would have been done by now. Unfortunately like email spam, the scammers will keep doing it if some people keep responding, and a few will be taken in by them and have their details stolen (potentially costing them a lot of money of their bank details are taken).

Althougg BT have Call Protect which is supposed to help, it does not in general. There are two bits to this, a personal blacklist where you can add up to 100 numbers and a "system wide" blocking that protects all BT users from "known" sources. Clearly this fails, and they never want to admit it.

Your best bet, as has been said, is to get one of those Nuisance Call Blockers.

0 Ratings