cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Candida
Message 1 of 11

Scam call

Go to solution

Just had a call to say that BT was terminating my service today ... I was so shocked I pressed 1 but quickly thought it was a scam, so hung up. I didn’t give any details, but I was really shocked and worried for a minute there.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Scam call

Go to solution

report it  https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Report-a-Scam-call/td-p/1901810

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

@Candida

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48253/kw/scam%20calls/c/761,6077

Nothing to do with BT.

If you respond, then they know there is a real person on the end, and will add you to a "suckers" list, and you will get even more calls, so just hang up and do not speak, or press any buttons.

They will also try to extract personal information from you.

There are lots of threads on this board about this.

Candida
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
Thank you
0 Ratings
Queenie
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Queenie
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
I got one today I'm with talk talk saying my bt line will be terminated from today I just hung up. 🤪 Number was 01675223533
davidmiller56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

HI Queenie,

Have Just Moved over from TT back to BT for Better services , so how come if your with TT? can you post on hear ???( Curious )

Anyway dosn't matter who you are with its the same , Scammers have your Number and Name and they try and take advantage , Just either hang up or ( My FAV ) start a fight with them ,its great way of getting rid of built up anger:-  ( NO come back, But make sure to block number that called you) 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
topaz122
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

I've had 2 calls today from different numbers with an automated voice saying they were BT and I was being dissconected , Press 1 ect, I'm not that dumb so just hung up but reported the numbers on several sites. My business line isn't even with BT. Wish I could block these scam callers, but being a business I can't. the numbers that called today were  01986616399  and 01900748789

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

@topaz122wrote:

I've had 2 calls today from different numbers with an automated voice saying they were BT and I was being dissconected , Press 1 ect, I'm not that dumb so just hung up but reported the numbers on several sites. My business line isn't even with BT. Wish I could block these scam callers, but being a business I can't. the numbers that called today were  01986616399  and 01900748789

Hi, welcome to the forums.

The scammers don't care what numbers they dial, and their automated systems can dial randomly or using a sequence. They choose to say BT because they know that BT still have the most customers.

Chances are your number is in a BT allocated range, but maybe ported to another company? Scammers will never know this. The Ofcom database only shows the telecom operator allocated the original large ranges.

The numbers that called you are almost certainly spoofed numbers the scammers choose using VoIP systems. Indeed the first one is a protected range according to Ofcom, and the second is allocated to TTNC Ltd.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@topaz122 wrote:

A synthesised voice, perhaps?

Report to Bt’s Report a scam call. Someone will catch up with them eventually.

I’ve had 6 of this type of call this week, and reported them. Some have already been blocked by Call Protect.

They show as calls on Call Protect, but not on the phone handset logs, so have gone to junk.

0 Ratings