cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

Scam call

Go to solution

Hey all. I know this has been posted before, but i have a followup that no-one seems to be talking about. This morning I was called by an apparent 'OpenReach BT' member. They said they needed to fix speeds and such, so in my head i thought it could be a scam. They asked if i had a PC and if it was on, I kinda couldn't hear properly so i kept saying hello or whatever then hung up.

After a bit of googling it is apparent to me that they may have wanted to remotely control my PC through a remote desktop - which i would've stopped right there because I was going to hang up anyway. But some googling led me to see that if i said 'Yes' by accident it may get me scammed in some way..?

I'm not good with homephones - so to my knowledge I cannot find the caller ID to report it since they've probably hidden it and I only wanted to listen a bit longer, in case it was something legit because we recently moved into a new home and acquired BT.

EDIT - I just want some clarity, if they've managed to scam me in some way or if i've avoided it...

Many thanks,

Gav

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Message 2 of 9

Re: Scam call

Go to solution

Hi @Evogg   A big clue that it is a scam is there is no such company as BT Openreach. There is BT and there is Openreach.  You have avoided a well known scam. 

Highlighted
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

@VeteranISPUser Thanks for the quick reply, so do you think they were going down the remote desktop path? I didn't give any information so I should be okay right?

I'm just worried because i usually don't answer numbers i don't know and notice scams immediately, but the timing of the call was just perfect with moving in and all.

Also I should've realised that OpenReach and BT were different, I know about OpenReach for several providers, not just BT. To think i'd be less worried if i just hung up straight away..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @Evogg   You would have had to actively allow them onto your PC. Normally by opening a browser and typing in an address. If you didn’t do that then you have nothing to worry about.

https://www.bt.com/help/home/scams/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@VeteranISPUser Thanks a lot for this clarification!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I've had three calls today, all with Indian accents with background noise that sounds like a call centre.

I have played along and until i got to the point where an "engineer" wanted me to go to Google and type something in.  At this point I asked him to let me know what name is registered to my account... 

"Engineer" hangs phone up 

Caller ID shows totally different numbers - Spoofed obviously

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@DavidH2wrote:

I've had three calls today, all with Indian accents with background noise that sounds like a call centre.

I have played along and until i got to the point where an "engineer" wanted me to go to Google and type something in.  At this point I asked him to let me know what name is registered to my account... 

"Engineer" hangs phone up 

Caller ID shows totally different numbers - Spoofed obviously

A very familiar scenario indeed.  Would be interested to know whether you instigated any dealings with BT leading up to this - like placing an order for a new service or modifying an existing one?  Maybe you reported a problem with a service recently?

The reason I ask is there has been a lot written in the Community speculating that scammers are exploiting leaks in BT overseas  call centres, hence their illegal activity is triggered by a legitimate transaction of yours, giving them a plausible reason and some persuasive detail to present to you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I haven't ordered anything recently however they have phoned previously when I haven't been in the house, according to my daughter, so it may be linked to a change to services that was initiated earlier this year.

It's a bit like a sport taking it out of them and leading them along, however its terrible to think that they might be successful scamming unsuspecting people.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@DavidH2wrote:

....... however its terrible to think that they might be successful scamming unsuspecting people.

They're also becoming more sophisticated in their methods, for example spoofing real BT numbers so your caller display makes the call appear genuine or coming up with plausible identifying measures, especially if they've somehow got hold of a second contact method (email or SMS/mobile). 

Dishonest and stupid scammers I reckon I can deal with; it's the clever ones that are more worrying. 

0 Ratings