cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evogg
Message 1 of 5

Scam call

Go to solution

Hey all. I know this has been posted before, but i have a followup that no-one seems to be talking about. This morning I was called by an apparent 'OpenReach BT' member. They said they needed to fix speeds and such, so in my head i thought it could be a scam. They asked if i had a PC and if it was on, I kinda couldn't hear properly so i kept saying hello or whatever then hung up.

After a bit of googling it is apparent to me that they may have wanted to remotely control my PC through a remote desktop - which i would've stopped right there because I was going to hang up anyway. But some googling led me to see that if i said 'Yes' by accident it may get me scammed in some way..?

I'm not good with homephones - so to my knowledge I cannot find the caller ID to report it since they've probably hidden it and I only wanted to listen a bit longer, in case it was something legit because we recently moved into a new home and acquired BT.

EDIT - I just want some clarity, if they've managed to scam me in some way or if i've avoided it...

Many thanks,

Gav

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Scam call

Go to solution

Hi @Evogg   A big clue that it is a scam is there is no such company as BT Openreach. There is BT and there is Openreach.  You have avoided a well known scam. 

Evogg
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

@VeteranISPUser Thanks for the quick reply, so do you think they were going down the remote desktop path? I didn't give any information so I should be okay right?

I'm just worried because i usually don't answer numbers i don't know and notice scams immediately, but the timing of the call was just perfect with moving in and all.

Also I should've realised that OpenReach and BT were different, I know about OpenReach for several providers, not just BT. To think i'd be less worried if i just hung up straight away..

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @Evogg   You would have had to actively allow them onto your PC. Normally by opening a browser and typing in an address. If you didn’t do that then you have nothing to worry about.

https://www.bt.com/help/home/scams/

0 Ratings
Evogg
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@VeteranISPUser Thanks a lot for this clarification!

0 Ratings