cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Scam calls: They keep saying its BT who called and they're disconnecting me

Go to solution

I am at the end of my tether now. I have been getting scam calls ever since I started using BT internet, they ring me all the time saying my bill hasn't been paid or I have a virus and they will disconnect me. I am wondering how they even know I am with BT?!! Do BT publicize the phone numbers of their customers or something? How do they know my name, number and my internet provider!? they also ring me about my bill not being paid, around the date its due, so then I always have to check my bank, or look online at https://scam-numbers.co.uk/ to check the number to see if its actually BT who called or not! Its just a pain. I bet if I just start ignoring all the calls, knowing my luck it would genuinely be BT. Im just really losing my patience with it now. I have registered with TPS but I am still getting these calls 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Scam calls: They keep saying its BT who called and they're disconnecting me

Go to solution

They are scam calls. BT will not cold call you to tell you that your Internet is going to be disconnected or that your account has not been paid etc etc.

If you get one of these calls you should not engage with them. Do not respond to any of their question, just hang up.

Because they are scammers and not a genuine company the TPS system will have no effect so while it will stop genuine companies from cold calling you it does not stop scammers.

As regards how the scammers get your number, the BT response is that it is just coincidence that this has started to happen since you became a BT customer however there are many forum users who have also found that they only started to get the calls after joining BT and they are of the opinion that somebody within the BT system is handing on your details to the scammers.  I will leave it to you to decide which is the most plausible explanation.

See links for information about scam calls.

https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/security/scam-calls-how-to-tell-if-a-call-is-from-bt-1136...

https://www.bt.com/help/home/scams/

Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @Annanhay   I recommend a nuisance call blocker phone. It will stop 100% of cold, scam and phishing calls.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@VeteranISPUserwrote:

Hi @Annanhay   I recommend a nuisance call blocker phone. It will stop 100% of cold, scam and phishing calls.

Ditto

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I think you are missing the point.

Yes, they are scam calls - the OP is well aware of that!  That is why he called them so in the thread title!

The issue is why they started after he started with BT internet.

(BTW, the OP is not alone.  I have had exactly the same experience since signing up with BT.  From about one scam call a year to 10 a day on spoofed numbers!)  Someone at BT is leaking (selling?) data!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

BT offer one: Call Protect.

A chocolate teapot works better!

I haven't seen any nuisance blocker that works reliably without having to maintain a white list.  Inevitably some legitimate numbers get missed off that white list, so make sure your GP is on there, even if they do use a spoofed number, just like the scammers!

0 Ratings