cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 21 of 66

Re: Scam calls from Indian call centre

I have to say when I was with sky last year the scamming phone calls were few and far between,since we joined BT last June we get around 20 to 30 a week.

I did find it strange as we signed up exdirectory and with BT privacy,we've  had numerous problems with BT from the outset and had to contact the Indian call centre.

I also had a feeling my number had been given out at the time as the scamming phone calls started immediatley,but thought I was just being daft.

I for one will be moving on and changing my number when my contract ends.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 22 of 66

I should point out that my issues have only started since I spoke to 2 representatives from the BT indian call centre. Again this I'm sure is just a coincidence. 🙂

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 23 of 66

🙂 So far so good, I think the scammers got the hint when i told them never to bother me again. 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 66

It is 2 years later from the original post and I can report similar experiences. I have chatted to BT helpcentres on several occasions over the past 2 years, following which I have received "coincidental" scam phone calls from people with Indian accents, as described throughout this thread, all increasing in frequency following these chats. What is worrying is that they now tell me my name and address!

These people are easily identified as scammers due to their dreadful attitudes and rude and insistant manner. They do their nation and culture great harm in reputation.

BT has apparently decided to bring such call centres back to the UK so I suspect it has listened to customer feedback from threads such as this and presumably through complaints. It has taken far too long though!

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 25 of 66

czoyl wrote:

These people are easily identified as scammers due to their dreadful attitudes and rude and insistant manner.

Welcome to the forum. According to many reports on this forum such behaviour doesn't necessarily distinguish scammers from the genuine helpdesk agents.Smiley Sad

It seems to me that there's enough anecdotal evidence on the lines you've posted to have prompted some investigation of these "coincidences". If there's been any it's not been publicised.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 66

Thank you for your prompt and welcome greeting. That is a subtle suggestion you make regarding the distinction between genuine agents and the scammers, which I suspect is true - they must get the information from somewhere.

I have has some particularly nasty calls lately, most of which I can manage to ignore by using a call blocker (for witheld and international numbers), but sometimes I get curious!

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 66

I meant that customers regularly report poor attitude and rudeness from the helpdesk agents, and didn't intend to imply that any agents are using personal information improperly.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 66

@czoyl wrote:

It is 2 years later from the original post and I can report similar experiences. I have chatted to BT helpcentres on several occasions over the past 2 years, following which I have received "coincidental" scam phone calls from people with Indian accents, as described throughout this thread, all increasing in frequency following these chats. What is worrying is that they now tell me my name and address!

These people are easily identified as scammers due to their dreadful attitudes and rude and insistant manner. They do their nation and culture great harm in reputation.

BT has apparently decided to bring such call centres back to the UK so I suspect it has listened to customer feedback from threads such as this and presumably through complaints. It has taken far too long though!

Hi.

These calls can seem to be more than a coincidence. However when there are millions of people getting these scam calls, there are bound to be times when a caller has contacted the helpdesk only to receive a "dodgy" call soon afterwards.

For the most recent call to the helpdesk, how long after did you get a scam call ?

Note that it may not be from an Indian call centre. Many of these scammers can be calling from anywhere, and playing "background music" which sounds like a busy call centre. It is those people that may be doing India harm, not the people in India.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 29 of 66

Andy_N wrote:

These calls can seem to be more than a coincidence. However when there are millions of people getting these scam calls, there are bound to be times when a caller has contacted the helpdesk only to receive a "dodgy" call soon afterwards.

True, but the salient point is that a number of people have reported that the suspected scammer has had personal information about them.

--
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 30 of 66

It is noticeable that certain members of the community go out of there way to rubbish any claims that this is NOT coincidental.

WHY ?

BT should investigate and make it easier for customers to report these "Coincidences".