Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 66

Re: Scam calls from Indian call centre

@Andy_N wrote:

These calls can seem to be more than a coincidence. However when there are millions of people getting these scam calls, there are bound to be times when a caller has contacted the helpdesk only to receive a "dodgy" call soon afterwards.

For the most recent call to the helpdesk, how long after did you get a scam call ?

Hello Andy,

The first instance was last year, I had never had them before but a day or so after using the online chat feature (regarding my landline) I had a call from a person reporting to be from BT asking if the problem had resolved (I thought genuine) and then the flurry of scam calls began. I purchased a call blocking phone then.

I had occasion to use the Chat feature again (phone problem persisted for some time) some months later and by this time the scam calls had decreased. However, again a day or so later I began to get scam calls again. I recall asking one person where he was calling from and he told me he was in an indian call centre. Another time the person told me my details (presumable to prove his credentials) and, interestingly, he suggested I was not with BT! I don't know what that was about.

Of course, this is just anecdotal and I cannot be certain they originated from stolen information from BT. But it is coincidental.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 66

@pottyperson wrote:

I meant that customers regularly report poor attitude and rudeness from the helpdesk agents, and didn't intend to imply that any agents are using personal information improperly.

I am sorry, yes I did misunderstand you. Smiley Embarassed

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 66

There have been previous instances reported on the forum of this happening after customers have been in contact with the overseas Customer Services Department.

It was following a pattern to the extent that it was very unlikely that it was just a coincidence. 

Unfortunately I can not at present find the relevant post, but I'm sure the moderators were advised about it and if I recall correctly they were going to pass on the information to BT's internal security about the issue. I don't recall any feedback regarding it.

However I have notified them about this thread so that they can once again contact the internal security department. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 66

@gg30340 wrote:

However I have notified them about this thread so that they can once again contact the internal security department. 

If BT are interested, I have copies of the transcripts of most of the "Chats" which includes the names of the agents. Of course, BT has copies anyway and I believe I read that they intend to bring these services back to the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 35 of 66

Hi Guys,

If you take a look at Security warning - Fraud activities, BT aware that some customers are being contacted by bogus companies fraudulently claiming to be or acting on behalf of BT.

I do understand your concerns but it would be unlikely that that these bogus calls are linked to an interaction with BT. If you have been the victim of this type of scam you should also report it to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040, or online at www.actionfraud.police.uk.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 66

Hi PaddyB

I did report to BT complaints just a few weeks ago. I was told it was unlikely to be able to trace the calls because BT would need Police authority to do so! In the end there is a tendancy to just give up after spending hours trying to reach the appropriate channels. Life is too short......

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 66

@PaddyB wrote:

I do understand your concerns but it would be unlikely that that these bogus calls are linked to an interaction with BT.

Given that this happens frequently after interaction with BT and that few if any people have reported they received calls without having had interaction with BT and given that personal details and knowledge of a fault having been reported is supplied by the scammers I am surprised that it is not even being considered a possibility.  

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 66

@PaddyB wrote:

I do understand your concerns but it would be unlikely that that these bogus calls are linked to an interaction with BT. If you have been the victim of this type of scam you should also report it to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040, or online at www.actionfraud.police.uk.

I did as you suggested, has anyone tried this? After you report the attempted scam and complete the few pages of information regarding the category of crime attempted (Phishing), you end up on a page which thanks you for the information, tells you you will not hear from them as it is intended to just "build a picture builds a picture of the types of crime" being committed.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 66

The callers seem to be getting more desparate. My call blocker filters out international and specific calls but I can see them on my phone's display. This international number: 001415580202, called 5 times before I answered today, the caller becaming threatening and abusive after I told him politely I don't have to listen to him. This was in answer to him telling me "You must listen to me"! He then hung up. The pattern appears to be repeated calls until it is answered and after that they go quiet for a while. The irony is that I kept telling him "I am listening" while refusing to confirm any of the details he had.

I am convinced they originate from hacked BT Indian call centres.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 66

the number appears to originate from the USA or Canada