Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sutherland43
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Scam landline message

I have  BT Protect on my phone and ignore all calls that don't have the callers name.  Possible scam calls usually just hang up but today I received a call from 0203 1299 322 which I didn't answer but they left a message.   It was the message that I found quite alarming.  It did appear to be recorded and was as follows:-

"This is HMRC Inland Revenue.  An arrest warrant has been issued in your name Ref: K901297. Call your Case Officer by Pressing 1 now (pressing 1 now was repeated)"

I think it may be a scam where reverse calls are charged to my number (not sure) - I have had no dealings/correspondence with HMRC for the past 10 years so was confident it was nothing other than a scam - but I nevertheless found it quite scary.   I have got quite used to taking calls in the past where scammers pretend to be BT or other organisations wanting access to my computer etc.  

I would have reported the number to BT but.....the information asked for is insufficient/irrelevant and I couldn't find a number to call, so I did what BT suggested and called The Action Fraud Team.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Scam landline message

Have a search through the Internet for "HMRC warrant" and you will find a lot of entries.

It's a scam just ignore it.

If HMRC had a warrant for you, which they would need to go to court to get, they would not phone you first before executing it.

0 Ratings
Sutherland43
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thank you.   Yes, I do agree with all you say and I do realise that given the time to think it through, its nonsense.  But I nevertheless did find it a bit alarming at first and wonder how many people would ring back as a knee jerk reaction.

Do you know if the number is reported to BT whether they will automatically block it?  How do people get hold of these numbers anyway?

Appreciate your reply, thanks

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

if you had answered the call instead of the answering service, then ( if you had took the bait ) pressing 1 would have connected you to one of their scammers, who presumably would have asked you to pay to stop the ( fictional) warrant, pressing 1 after the recorded message has played back on an answer machine does nothing, as the call they made has already cleared, the scammers equipment presumably cannot tell the difference between a genuine person answer or a robotic answer service/answer machine answer.
The only potential problem is because they got an answer ( even though it was an answer service ) they may try again , as they now know your number is a valid number, the scammers just call numbers sequentially, lots of numbers they call will not be currently in use or even in a valid number range
Chances are if you did ring back , that 0203 number wouldn’t connect as it’s almost certainly a spoofed number, this scam only works if you answer the call press 1 and then pass over your bank or credit card details

Sutherland43
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thank you so much, a great explanation of how these scammers work and I feel quite reassured by your answer.  I have now blocked the number (I think) but the only way I could find to do it was via the answerphone message (or was it 1471 not sure - duh!!) anyway the message on the phone did ask me to confirm that I wanted to block the number so hope it worked.   I would recognise the number again so I hopefully I can get to it before the answerphone kicks in. 

Thanks again for taking the time to explain, very much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

That's good advice @iniltous 👍

@Sutherland43 if you've blocked that number using the 1572 call protect service any calls from that particular number will get sent straight to your junk voicemail and the phone wont ring. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Sutherland43
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

0 Ratings
Sutherland43
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thank you Neil0, useful information.  I think I am gradually getting to grips with how all this works, much appreciate your mail. 

0 Ratings