cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Scam phone call

I have just received a call on my landline from a UK number - 01392278504 and it was from an Indian sounding man saying he was from internet security.

I assumed it was from BT as I have a fault outstanding on my broadband.  Anyway he didn’t say he was from BT.  He proceeded to ask what devices were connected to the router - I just told him about my mobile.  He then asked my to look for the Abb store which I realised he meant App Store but couldn’t pronounce his P’s!  

He then tried to get me to download an app called QuickSubbort he meant QuickSupport but he couldn’t pronounce his P’s!  This is a screen sharing app and I knew immediately something wasn’t right.  I asked who he was again and he just said I’m calling from your internet provider!  I hung up and unplugged my phone!  It has left me a bit shaken.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Scam phone call

@Orchid99 

It's horrible receiving a Scam call like that. 

You may want to have a look at this thread: Scams: Information about scams currently circulat... - BT Community 

You can  also report Scam Calls via this link: Report a Scam Call | BT Help

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Hi @Orchid99, welcome to the community and thanks for posting, that was most definitely a scam call, it's not a real number they've called from and you did the right thing by hanging up so there is no need to worry. BT will never call out of the blue about an internet security issue and this is, unfortunately, a common tactic employed by the scammers. If BT are calling we will know why we're calling and who we need to speak with.

I'd recommend reporting the scam call on this link. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Thank you.  It was just strange that on the day my broadband fault was due to be fixed I received this call!  I don’t use my landline number for anything so isn’t listed anywhere... almost like a data leak from BT.  I have sent a complaint for them to investigate further... I have reported this number and scam on various sites.  

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Not that my faith in BT is what you'd call unshakeable,  but if it makes you feel any better,  it's highly unlikely that there's any connection.    Scammers call literally thousands of numbers every day,  and it's just the law of averages that now and again one of those numbers  -  yours,  in this case  -  will happen,  by pure chance,  to overlap with a genuine fault.    Since all scammers spoof their originating numbers,  unfortunately,  any number that appears on your scanner is meaningless.    As a general practise,  if callers claim to be from generic sources such as  'your internet provider'  or  'your phone provider'  or  'your bank',  the first thing to do is ask them to give a specific company name.    If they claim to be from BT,  asking for their E.I.N.  ( employee identification number )  will usually result in the call being ended there and then.   Also bear in mind that once again,  by the sheer law of numbers,  if they claim to be from,  say,  NatWest,  for some percentage of the time they're almost certainly going to be right.    If the call is unsolicited and / or unexpected,  tell them that you're going to hang up and call the fraud department of your own bank / internet provider / phone provider etc. to verify that the call was genuine.    If they hang up there and then,  it's a safe bet that it was a fraudulent call;   if you want to be sure,  then do exactly what you've just told them you'll do,  using a number that you know to be valid  ( for example,  the number on the back of your credit card ),  rather than any number they may  'helpfully provide'.    In this eventuality,  always leave it a good four or five minutes after having hung up from the original call before you dial out again.

The bottom line is,  if in any doubt whatsoever,  never do anything they ask you to do with your computer,  and absolutely never push any buttons on your phone.

0 Ratings