cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Scam phone calls

Go to solution

I keep getting phone calls saying my internet will be cut off in 48 hours because of illegal activity. I am assuming its a scam, and ignoring it, but can anyone confirm if this is a scam?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Scam phone calls

Go to solution

It is a scam. BT will never call you to inform you of that or anything similar.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Have had three calls on the same topic today from BT “technical department “. Three different numbers, but two from an “Orange” mobile prefix and one from a landline in Germany.

Third Call was most demanding and a sense of desperation, or more likely frustration, as each time I put the phone down.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Great thanks for the confirmation, I'l keep ignoring the calls, and delete the messages

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

@Polohanwrote:

I keep getting phone calls saying my internet will be cut off in 48 hours because of illegal activity. I am assuming its a scam, and ignoring it, but can anyone confirm if this is a scam?

Hi @Polohan ,

I assume you are a BT customer. Do you have BT Call Protect activated ?  It will stop a lot but not all bogus nuisance and spoofed calls.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Recently joined BT (~ 1 month ago), I never give out my landline no. and am ex directory.  Pre BT never had any landline calls bar from a few close relatives who know it.

Since last week we keep getting at least 2 calls per day all from different numbers, either starting 07 or 001, most times they just hang up when you answer but on a few occasions they do respond and always BT technical department, flagging an issue with internet, clearly a scam so ignore and then blacklist no. via BT Call Protect.

Problem is they keep calling on a new number and it is very disturbing.

Main concern is how they got the no. is someone in BT leaking customers phone no.s to these scammers?  How else would they have my no. as have had the no. for years and never had an issue until my recent move to BT.

Any advise on how these calls can be stopped?

Would I be sceptical on thinking it's in BT's interests to leak no.s to cause scam calls which then make customers sign up to premium blocking services BT offer to bar unknown no.s?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Scammers don't generally target particular phone numbers, they use equipment that makes huge numbers of calls randomly from numbers which are spoofed. That you moved to BT recently is almost certainly a coincidence.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

So anything I can do to stop them, very annoying when on work call and landline keeps ringing?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

If like most folk you don't actually use the landline phone just unplug it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Or use answerphone. Scammers won't leave messages.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings