cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CeciliaC
Message 1 of 7

Scam phone message threatening arrest

I received a voice mail message this morning (Monday, 19 August 2019) at 09:57 from 02308 324634. A male voice with an American accent & a robotic quality said,

"Please press 1 immediately to speak to one of the BT Technical Support Representatives and solve the problem or else you will be involved in a fraud and eventually getting arrested. I repeat please press 1 immediately to speak to one of the British Telecom representatives." 

I didn't press 1 but instead reported it via the BT report a scam call form. The form, however, does not have a field for reporting what was said and I find that concerning because the message was threatening. BT needs to know the message contained a threat of arrest.

I've never reacted to a scam call so I'm wondering now if the scammers are raising the stakes. Has anybody else received a message like this? 

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Scam phone message threatening arrest

@CeciliaCwrote:

I received a voice mail message this morning (Monday, 19 August 2019) at 09:57 from 02308 324634. A male voice with an American accent & a robotic quality said,

"Please press 1 immediately to speak to one of the BT Technical Support Representatives and solve the problem or else you will be involved in a fraud and eventually getting arrested. I repeat please press 1 immediately to speak to one of the British Telecom representatives." 

I didn't press 1 but instead reported it via the BT report a scam call form. The form, however, does not have a field for reporting what was said and I find that concerning because the message was threatening. BT needs to know the message contained a threat of arrest.

I've never reacted to a scam call so I'm wondering now if the scammers are raising the stakes. Has anybody else received a message like this? 

Hi, welcome to the forums.

All these scams are pretty much the same, to scare people into reacting and conning them.

However possible threatening phone calls see the following OFCOM advice :-

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisanc...

CeciliaC
Message 3 of 7

Thanks! The link is useful but I really wanted to know if anybody had been threatened with arrest. I'm aware of threats to cut off internet services but the threat of arrest is a new one to me.
0 Ratings
somniac
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

I am getting these at a rate of about 6 or 8 a day for the last couple of weeks. My landline is all but useless as I have turned off my answer machine, ringer on the handset and base ringer. Every one has a different number so call protect does not protect. I will end up taking my landline phone out.
pompey1898
Expert
Message 5 of 7

@CeciliaCwrote:
Thanks! The link is useful but I really wanted to know if anybody had been threatened with arrest. I'm aware of threats to cut off internet services but the threat of arrest is a new one to me.

Yes.  I know they can cause alarm to some but they are scams so just put the phone down.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@somniac 

Just get a call blocking phone, and then they will not get through.

iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

I haven’t heard or seen posts where the scammers opening gambit is threatening arrest fir ‘ broadband’ related issues, but there are some amusing ( well amusing when the person receiving the call knows it’s a scam artist and plays along ) You Tube videos , but the subject is American tax returns, and the threat of arrest is ‘apparently’ because of incorrect tax returns , they offer to cancel the warrant for your arrest in return for you going to a Western Union office and sending a payment, the scammers trying to explain why if it’s ‘tax’ issue, why the money isn’t payable to the IRS can be comical...