cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Scam stating that Loyal customers can get 35% discount from bill?

I keep getting calls from people that puport to be from BT offering 35% discount on my bills. They asked me for my date of birth. I asked them for my account number - which he then quoted loads of numbers which didn't sound like my account number. Do BT recognise that this activity is taking place. (Calls from 01245 602027 / 01245 602823 / 01245 602261 - called numbers back and they eventually go through to an automated answerphone saying that there's no one to answer right now) Thank you

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Scam stating that Loyal customers can get 35% discount from bill?

these are scam calls and nothing BT can do to stop as there are coming from spoofed numbers  report it  here 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Report-a-Scam-call/td-p/1901810

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

It may not be as much as a scam as those that try and get you to pass on personal information or get access to your computer, but there are company’s (UK based) that purport to BT ( they aren’t ) offer savings ( that never materialise ) and have massive penalty’s if you try and get out of the contract.
It’s fair to say avoid at all costs, Ofcom sometimes catch up with them , but all they do is start up again with a new name but the same sharp practice 

Highlighted
Message 4 of 11

Thank you. Very helpful. You just wonder how they get these people to work in their call centres!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

@380551wrote:
Thank you. Very helpful. You just wonder how they get these people to work in their call centres!!

It may sound like a call centre, but scammers are often in small rooms and simply play a CD of "background office" music

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Probably a scam as other 01245 numbers have been identified as scammers from Chelmsford.

Look at website who-called.co.uk . Very good for identifying cold callers and scammers, just a pity OFCOM don't close them down.

Highlighted
Message 7 of 11

It's a world I've not look into before. Thank you

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 11

Very interesting - not come across this website before. Thank you

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Good site to check unknown callers before ringing them back and finding you have been lured into scam. Some 0330 numbers, which are HMRC scam/threats should be dealt with more forcibly by OFCOM but are they yet another government watchdog that does nothing!! Take care
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 11

@stephen202 wrote:

Probably a scam as other 01245 numbers have been identified as scammers from Chelmsford.

Look at website who-called.co.uk . Very good for identifying cold callers and scammers, just a pity OFCOM don't close them down.

You will notice that these websites show no searches for some of these numbers.

It seems to be that fake numbers are now becoming easier to obtain.

Report these calls to Bt’s “ Report a scam call”.  They will form a pattern, which will eventually trace or block the source.

0 Ratings