cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Security alarm dialler not working after change of phone/ internet provider

Go to solution

I have moved from Virginmedia to BT.  I have a dialler on my burglar alarm which is supposed to notify me when an alarm is triggered.  It worked fine on Virgin when it was hard wired into an extension socket. However, the alarm company could not get it to work and have said that I need a filter to connect it into the master socket. They have left me with a bare  ended cable next to the new master socket.  Not sure where to go from here?  

Any advice much appreciated!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Security alarm dialler not working after change of phone/ internet provider

Go to solution

@Goodie 

Welcome to this user forum.

It sounds like you need to have a filtered master socket fitted. When was your phone line activated with BT?

Which one of these does your master socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpeg

filtered_sockets.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
Thanks for your response. The socket was fitted about 3 months ago and it corresponds with no 7
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

@Goodie wrote:
Thanks for your response. The socket was fitted about 3 months ago and it corresponds with no 7

Then that is already a filtered socket, so the alarm company should have realised that.

Your phone plugs into the right hand side, and the home hub plugs into the left.

The alarm cable needs to be connected to the connection block which is situated behind the removable front cover (it clips off).

It needs to be connected to the block as shown on this picture. That is a filtered connection block.

Capture.JPG

You either have to ask them to come back, or connect it up yourself.

5c_2.jpg

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Many thanks for your advice. It looks as though I'm going to have to connect it myself so I would be grateful for guidance as to which colour wire to which terminal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@Goodie wrote:

Many thanks for your advice. It looks as though I'm going to have to connect it myself so I would be grateful for guidance as to which colour wire to which terminal.

Your alarm company should have done that, but they may be able to tell you which ones.

There would only be two wires needed, but without knowing which ones connect to the alarm panel, its going to be difficult to do. You may be able to identify which wires were connected to your old Virgin Media socket, and connect then to the block.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks again. Attached is a photo of the cable as it was left byIMG_3539.JPG the alarm company after having been removed from the Virgin junction box.  The blue/white and the blue cables both have stripped ends so I guess that they were the two previously in use. The orange/white has just been cut off and has not been stripped.  Any advice as to which to attach to which terminal in the new master socket would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

The blue white/blue would make sense, as its the first pair in the cable colour code.

As to the connection block behind the faceplate, are there any numbers on it?

Perhaps someone on this forum that has one, could say which connections are the A and B terminals. It should not matter if they are reversed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Its 2 and 5 you need to connect. It does not matter if the insulation has already been removed, you can still use the connection block.

Capture.JPG

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

In the meantime I would change alarm company if they are that useless!