Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Setting outgoing caller id

Go to solution

I have an asterisk installation which is connected to the BT PSTN via an OBI ATA.

My default line configuration is to withhold my number, for certain outgoing numbers I want to display it - this I can easily achieve in the asterisk dialplan by prepending 1470 to the dialed number.

Asterisk has the option to set the trunk CID which has given me further ideas but the question is can I override the outgoing caller id on a BT line - ie change it to something else?

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Setting outgoing caller id

Go to solution

Are you a business customer?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
No - residential
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

You would not be able to override the settings from your end, but you can ask BT to allow your number to be released on your phone line, if that is what you want.

If you wanted to block it on a call by call basis, then you would have to add the prefix 141.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks Keith,  it would appear to be as I expected.

The dialplan in Asterisk takes care of sending the 1470 / 141  depending on the database lookup of the number being called which will suffice. It was simply an idea that if I could spoof the CLI then I could identify to the recipient exactly "who" is calling (ie which member of the family) rather than from which number the call was made.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
I assume you are using a voip supplier and not making calls out on your normal landline?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

No, as I said in the original post I am using an ATA on the BT line to act as a trunk to asterisk.

So all the phones in the house including mobiles are extensions on asterisk, the call only goes analogue when it is routed to the BT line. Asterisk has the ability to set the outgoing CLI so I was wondering if it was possible to deliver this in the call on the BT line. Keith has indicated that this is not possible on a residential line.

0 Ratings