cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Setup, cost etc of Digital Voice

We are due to get FTTP in the next few weeks and looking at options. I believe I can replace my landline with Digital Voice line. Some questions-

1- what does it cost?

2- Can i keep my current number?

3. Can i still use my analogue phones?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Setup, cost etc of Digital Voice

Are you an existing customer upgrading to FTTP or are you a new customer and if so who is current provider?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

There seems to be a lot of hysteria about Digital Voice, bear in mind that a corded phone connected to your old copper line will continue to work in the event of a power cut whereas  with DV your SH2 will turn off and so will your landline

If you found this post helpful 🙂 then please let me know by clicking the thumbs up button below. On the other hand, if you found it unhelpful 😞 then please let me know by clicking the thumbs up button below . 😄
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Not a current customer of BT. Currently with plusnet who don't do fttp 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

I'm aware of the power issue with digital Voice but I have a mobile so not a major concern.  Main concern is I have multiple phones on extensions and a fax machine (I know!) that I need to consider as well.

Really mainly considering it for savings in cost (assuming there is no cost!) otherwise I probably would continue with the copper but not with my current provider as they won't do voice without BroadBand and they don't do fttp.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

A Fax machine??? For a moment there I almost thought you were being serious 😅

If you found this post helpful 🙂 then please let me know by clicking the thumbs up button below. On the other hand, if you found it unhelpful 😞 then please let me know by clicking the thumbs up button below . 😄
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

I'm afraid I'm serious. It's one of the ways I communicate with my 88 year old deaf mother. She can text but for longer messages she faxes me. Working on facetime to sign but proving a challenge!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

If you get digital voice the the hub acts as dect base station and your phone socket no longer works-for calls so neither will your extensions.  I think that may also rule out your old fax machine

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Is it really dect? I assumed it would be over WiFi but that was just an assumption.

I thought I saw that there was a phone socket on the back of the router but not sure if I misread that (hence my question).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Its DECT and you have to use the Smart Hub 2. It has a phone socket on the back, to plug in a normal phone.

Capture.JPG

If you want to use a different router, then it would be best to keep your copper landline connection.

I doubt very much that a fax machine would work over Digital Voice, owing to the way that calls are carried over the IP network. So you need to keep your copper landline.