cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcswright
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Silent calls from a BT partner

Have had one or two missed calls from 08009539090 every day when I get home for a couple of weeks now, they've been calling in the evenings as well but the calls have been silent and dropped after a couple of seconds.

Called BT's Nuisance Call Advice Line yesterday and gave them the number - the drone I spoke to said he had no idea who it was.  Seriously?  I know I'm not the only one, don't treat me like an idiot.

Did a search online and found that this is happening to other people, who have already found out who it is - called the number back and it is 'CCA International' - their answerphone message gives the BT webpage to verify that they're a partner - bt.com/partners.

Went to call BT's Nuisance Call Advice Line, now I know it's one of BT's own partners (I'm already registered with the TPS by the way) and the number is permanently engaged.  I wonder why...

So - what the **bleep**?  What a ridiculously stupid own-goal from BT.  I've reported the number to the Information Commissioner's Office, and I hope someone gets in some serious **bleep** over it.  Really hacked off about this.  Muppets.

Can someone from BT please explain what the **bleep** is going on here?

P.S. I like that my swearing has been automatically replaced with bleeps - probably for the best...

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Silent calls from a BT partner

Hi Cswright,

I am sorry to hear that you have been receiving these unwanted sales calls. I can have your details removed from our marketing list and should stop these calls. Please could you email me your BT account details, along with a link to this thread? My email address is forum.moderation.team@bt.com

Thanks

Paddy
Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
jcswright
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thank you Paddy, but I've just had my details removed already so I assume the calls will stop now.

Surely though what you should be worrying about is why a BT Partner is making silent calls (3 of the calls I answered were silent) to _your_ customers.

I can tell from your response that you are neither prepared to acknowledge them as nuisance calls nor do anything about the problem.  Sad really.

0 Ratings
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Welcome to these friendly forums jcswright!

Just because the caller says they are a partner of BT doesn't mean they are, so take care not to malign BT, who might be innocent here. On the other hand, googling CCA International leads to here

Anyway, it looks very fishy, and I sympathise as we've had a few of these very irritating cold callers. 08009539090 leads to CT International

-- -.-- / ... .. --.
Value Added Guest (Inspiring Not Aspiring)
Rate a post if you like it! - just click the star under the user's name on the left. (N.B. ratings facility no longer available in Forum Help and Suggestions; nor is it available in the Lounge)

0 Ratings
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

@PaddyB wrote:
Hi Cswright,

I am sorry to hear that you have been receiving these unwanted sales calls. I can have your details removed from our marketing list and should stop these calls.

Paddy, your reply suggests that BT is transmitting customers' details to third parties without permission. Is this practice not forbidden under the Data Protection Act?

-- -.-- / ... .. --.
Rate a post if you like it! - just click the star under the user's name on the left. (N.B. ratings facility no longer available in Forum Help and Suggestions; nor is it available in the Lounge)

0 Ratings
jcswright
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Thank you Pasha, but no danger of BT being innocent here - see http://www.bt.com/partners

What is particularily annoying is that BT's own nuisance call dept pretended not to have heard of them.

0 Ratings
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

What is particularily annoying is that BT's own nuisance call dept pretended not to have heard of them.

Not necessarily; they just might not have been informed. BT departments are notorious for poor inter-communication.

I suppose Channel Telecom here is CT Limited. and CCA International is right there on the main page

As you were Paddy; looks like I didn't read the small print

We may share your personal information with other companies so that they can contact you with details of other products or services you may be interested in. We will only do this if you have agreed to this and where the companies agree to use your personal information for that purpose only. If you have agreed to receive information about products and services from another company and later decide not to you will need to contact that company yourself to let them know. You can of course ask us not to continue to provide your personal information to any more companies in future.

I believe a customer can send a DPA notice to anyone - I did that to BT some months ago, and had an acknowledgment - to ask them not to pass one's PII to a third party, that will override anything in the T&Cs. But if BT have told you that they have already knocked you off the list, then the job should be done.

-- -.-- / ... .. --.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I have also received calls from this number on the one occasion they spoke to me I answered a few questions then they hung up

0 Ratings
Numb3r6
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Finding this thread I can tell you that regardless of what BT do/don't know about this so called partner, they are still at it. I had 3 calls over the course of 2 days. More annoyingly, whilst I'm trying to recuperate from surgery I'm getting interrupted by these idiots who don't even have the courtesy to stay on the damned line when you pick up, they just hang up. These are the sort of idiots I'd dearly love to punch in the face, often.

On each occasion I rang the supplied 0800 BT number to ask I was taken off their call lists but it was only when I blacklisted them it seems to have stopped. BT had the nerve to tell me it could be up to 28 days before their request actually happens. So, I'm on TPS, I'm ex directory and who bypasses all that? Allegedly a partner of BT. Priceless.

What staggers me is that if there is a relationship between this lot and BT, BT are too stupid to see how they are hacking off their customers. Thanks for giving me a point to consider when my contract is up for renewal.

If it happens once more I'll be raising this with Ofcom.
I've had a belly full of so called support from BT, having to deal with stupid and incredibly times wasting, rude staff, and this is the icing on the cake, well done.

0 Ratings