Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greenfield112
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Sky lost landline

Hi all,

I’m after some help please. My parents had TV, phone and broadband with Sky and upon coming to the end of their contract the prices were hiked up. My parents then gave in their cancellation request and lo and behold Sky immediately dropped their prices. As a result my parents agreed to stay on. Now it has transpired that Sky forgot to cancel the cancellation request with Openreach and now my parents have lost phone & internet and have been told they have lost their telephone number.

The phone number is absolutely crucial as it’s the main contact number for most of their hospital appointments so if this can be recovered it would be a huge huge relief.

Sky have said there is nothing they can do and will not act further - they’ve informed us to either start a new order with them for phone and broadband with a new phone number or go to another provider. 

Is there any chance that if I place an order for phone and broadband with BT I can recover the phone number? I’ve seen some threads where this has happened.

Just to confirm the landline number was originally provided by BT some 30 odd years ago at the very same property. 

Many thanks in advance to anyone who reads and can assist. 

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
albertj
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: Sky lost landline

Hi @Greenfield112 

Welcome to the Community!

Did you order with BT? This would have cancelled Sky...

Or

Did you cancel Sky and then they called you with the more reasonable pricing?

To cancel, you can now order with another provider.

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Greenfield112
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Hi, 

I cancelled with sky then they called back with more reasonable pricing. 

But my main issue is the recovery on the landline number that Sky are now saying is lost. 

thanks 

0 Ratings
VeteranISPUser
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 20

Hi @Greenfield112 

Unfortunately, if you want to keep your number you should never ever cancel with your current supplier. The way switching works is you only talk to your new supplier. They handle everything including transferring your existing number.

0 Ratings
Greenfield112
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Thanks for your reply. But well within the cancellation window I agreed to further stay on with Sky. They forgot to tell openreach 

So I just need to know has my number disappeared or can I get it back?

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 20

There is nothing this forum can do to help you. This is a BT Retail forum and has nothing to do with Openreach. Any issue you have must be taken up with your supplier. Just because some rep at SKY is blaming Openreach does not make it true.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 20

If the number was originally a BT number , and the address is the same as when you had the number with BT, then it’s possible that the number can be reprovided by BT, but it would require getting a ‘BT’ service provided with any old number , then when the line is in and working, and the cease of the Sky service has returned the number you want to BT, then a renumber can be issued to change the BT line to the number you really want.
As you have observed, it’s been done before with the help of the community mods, but to enable them to micro mange the process, it needs to be started by an order being raised to get the BT service in, perhaps the mods will make an offer to do this for you once the order is raised.

0 Ratings
Greenfield112
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

iniltous Thank you so much for explaining and taking the time. I have since now replaced an order with BT and contacted one of the mods. I will keep the thread posted with progress. 

If there is anything else I can do in the mean time please can you let me know. 

Thank you

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

If you have placed an order with BT you will need to follow that process.  A moderator will not normally respond to you unless they have posted a message on your thread that they will offer assistance.

0 Ratings
Greenfield112
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Great thanks for explaining. Is anyone able to have a moderator contact me please? Thanks 

0 Ratings