Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: Sky lost landline

As was explained by iniltous:-

"If the number was originally a BT number , and the address is the same as when you had the number with BT, then it’s possible that the number can be reprovided by BT, but it would require getting a ‘BT’ service provided with any old number , then when the line is in and working, and the cease of the Sky service has returned the number you want to BT, then a renumber can be issued to change the BT line to the number you really want".

Once everthing is up and running you will need to post back for assistance.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 12 of 20

@Greenfield112wrote:

I have since now replaced an order with BT and contacted one of the mods. I will keep the thread posted with progress. 

If there is anything else I can do in the mean time please can you let me know. 

Thank you

As you're taking over a working line, the lead time will be 10-14 days to join BT, Sky will send your parents notification that another person wants to take over the line, this is to be expected.

Once your parents are with BT, you can then contact them the day after the service goes live and ask for a renumber with a specified number, which is the number they had but Sky lost.
BT will then request Openreach assign that number back to the BT landline, this can take between 2-3 days and is not guaranteed.
A renumber request costs a one-off £26 charge, It's only ever waived due to a BT error or nuisance calls which your request isn't, so remember to factor this in as the charge will go on the next bill.

Do Sky know you intend to leave them because of this ? your parents have agreed a contract with Sky, I have no idea how long this has went on for but if you're outside the cooling off period, Sky might charge an early termination fee for cancelling line/broadband in contract, might be worth having this agreed to save any bill shock from Sky 🙂

Greenfield112
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 20

Thanks Richie for a very detailed post.

I don't think the line is active as Sky have said that the number has now been released back to BT. There is no dial tone and when I call the number it says not available. 

When I placed my order with BT under the existing phone number it could not proceed and said "this is a stopped number..." - So I'm guessing this is because it's in some sort of quarantine? 

Anyway I have now had my order confirmation email from BT with a new telephone number, I'm guessing this is the temp one until the renumber happens? 

Thanks for the heads up on the charge also, didn't realise that! 

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 14 of 20

@Greenfield112wrote:

I don't think the line is active as Sky have said that the number has now been released back to BT. There is no dial tone and when I call the number it says not available. 

So Sky have left your parents with no phone or broadband ? I thought it was just the number lost on the cease, have they not restored the service either but on a different number ?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

@Greenfield112 

If you have any issues with getting the renumber done, then post back here, once your BT phone line is working, as it may require manual intervention by one of the moderators, to overcome the "stopped line" marker. Your parents may also have to prove that the number belonged to them.

Greenfield112
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Sorry if I wasn't clear - yes Sky have left them with no phone or internet!

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 17 of 20

@Greenfield112wrote:

Sorry if I wasn't clear - yes Sky have left them with no phone or internet!

In which case you won't have to worry about any cooling off period with Sky, get the line active as you've already started with an order, the day after it goes live contact BT for the renumber request.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 20

@Greenfield112 

You need to be aware that Sky are an LLU (Local Line Unbundling) provider, and have their own equipment in the exchange, which can provide phone and standard (ADSL) broadband. They have most likely simply disabled their connection, which is why the line is off.

An Openreach Frames Technician has to visit the exchange and remove the line from the Sky equipment, and connect it to an EN (Equipment Number) on the BT exchange which will be mapped to your new temporary number.

This is going to depend on the availability of Openreach people to do the work, especially during the holiday period. When it is done, there should be dial tone on the phone line.

Any renumbering is done by software commands which run overnight, so there would be no need for another visit to the exchange.

Did your parents have standard broadband, or "fibre"  (FTTC) broadband with Sky?

0 Ratings
Greenfield112
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Each day is a learning day! I have learnt a lot from this thread! 

Yes, it was FTTC and will be replaced with BT FTTC. 

Does this have any impact or is it still likely that we can get our old number back?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 20

@Greenfield112 wrote:

Each day is a learning day! I have learnt a lot from this thread! 

Yes, it was FTTC and will be replaced with BT FTTC. 

Does this have any impact or is it still likely that we can get our old number back?

No it will not affect the phone number. The only issue that may arise is if the fibre cabinet is full and there are no spare ports. If that was the case, then the only option would be standard broadband, until a port becomes available.

You can do a quick check to see the status of the cabinet, by using the address checker on this page, as you do not have a working phone number yet.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

If the checker shows "waiting List" against the FTTC entry, then there may be a problem, however using the phone number in the checker, is more accurate.

0 Ratings