cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Slammed - need old number back pronto!!

Someone please advise - my elderly mother is besided herself!

We have two properties at the same address with two land lines. I live in one, my elderly mother in the other.  Talktalk were the lines providers.  

Recently i request a change of provider to Sky for my property, and this went ahead, but unfortunately this was transfered to mums house and not mine.  I still have the original talk talk number and service.

The one big problem we have now is that mums number has changed.  She has had that number for about 20years and indeed uses it as part of a business.  She is besides herself now because nobody can contact her.  She is elderly and this is making her ill.  Ive spent all day yesterday and most of today going between Sky and Talktalk to try and have the old account reinstated and number activated but it transpires the only people that can do this are BT.  Talk talk say the number is no longer with them.  Sky have been the most helpful in that they have pointed me in this direction.

So in a nutshell, can BT get that number back?  Even if i ditch both Sky and Talktalk, i dont care.  Whatever it takes but we MUST get that old number back.

Yours hopefully, Andy 🙂

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Slammed - need old number back pronto!!

Hi @leftofcentre2009,

I am sorry to hear about what has happened to your Mum's number. The companies that you are talking about are incorrectly referring to Openreach as BT. They are part of the BT Group but they are a separate company to us. Even though we are part of the same group we aren't allowed any special treatment. The two companies that you are talking about are treated the exact same way as us. They are also able to contact Openreach on your behalf.

When a number is released it is sent back to a pot that Openreach have control over. This then becomes available for any company to apply for to give to one of their Customers.

Thanks

DanielS

Message 3 of 7

Ah ok.  Thanks for that clarification.

May i ask in your opinion what my best next move should be in order to get that number back?  I am running out of ideas 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

I would be talking to the new provider SKY who were supposed to port the number and don't be fobbed off with contact BT - Actually openreach     your contract is with SKY and up to them to sort out

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

First of all, work out which company your Mum wants to stay with. If your Mum has a working service, on a different number, it may be best to ask for a renumber to the old number. When that company is placing the order they will be able to see if that number is available.

If TalkTalk have truly released the number back to Openreach then Sky should be able to place a renumber request within 48 hours of doing so. Just remember, if you change supplier it may take a longer period of time to get her services set up elsewhere before even being able to ask for a renumber.

Your Mum could move to us but there is no guarantee that we can get the number back. Although, we would do everything we could to help get it.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks

DanielS

Message 6 of 7

Wow thanks guys so much for your helpful comments.  Amazing response. Thanks so much.

Ok so further developments this afternoon - been on the phone for over an hour with Talktalk.  Absolute waste of time.  They tried to sell me a new account with the old number, so went for that option but then they decided it wasnt possible to get the old number after all.  So we want to ditch them once and for all.  They dont speak english so its very difficult to understand what they are saying.

Next port of call was Sky - very nice and much more helpful, they say the old number is not showing as active and so it is in "quarantine" and will be for several months.  Unfortunately they do not have the infrastructure to be able to port to the old number they said and recommended (again) i contact BT to see if you can help.  They said BT have been the longest in the business and if anyone can get that old number back by applying for it or doing whatever is neccessary then it will be BT.

So yes, if BT can do it then my mum will have a new service through them.  I can sort the sky line out after.  At the moment the most important thing is for her to get her number back.

My next question is - how do i apply for BT to provide the sevrice and take over the line whilst explaining all the above all over again?

Cheers, Andy

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Anybody? 🙂
0 Ratings