Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gthomson4000
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Slamming victim

Hi there. 

Unceremonioulsy cut off by BT without warning after 13 years. Didn't receive a "Sorry you are leaving us letter or email".

Had a panic alarm from partner's disabled parents house going to our phone but despite telling BT this I still have to wait three weeks to get another line.

Have no mobile signal in our flat due to reception problems so can't get panic alarm redirected to mobiles.

Nobody has taken over my phone line and my old number is inactive.

Now have two direct debits to BT for two phone lines and yet don't have any service.

Have had to cancel my broadband service with another company and will be tied in as a new customer when I return.

Had to battle BT to be treated as an existing customer despite the circumstances.

BT say they are unable to tell me which company caused all this chaos as they don't have this information.

How can I find which company caused this?

Will OFCOM know? Can BT, despite what they tell me, find out?

Any help appreciated.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Slamming victim

The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

Message 3 of 6

Hi gthomson4000,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I’m really sorry you’ve had so many problems lately. We wouldn’t be able to tell you who has taken over the line as we don’t hold that information. If your broadband has been slammed as well you might be redirected to that ISP landing page. Did you receive any bills from another company?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
gthomson4000
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Hi David,

Thanks for reply.

I have not receieved any bills or any correspondence from any other company.

I was told by BT it was probably a mix up with addresses that resulted in my number being disconnected.

I still don't understand how I can be cut off after 13 years at the request of another company and yet nobody knows who requested it.

Who tells BT to transfer a service? 

It is as if there is an amorphous, untraceable entity capable of instructing BT to carry out certain tasks while leaving no record of their input to the process.

It just sounds ludicrous to a layman.

Could you also perhaps answer another coupe of queries please if possible.

I now have an appointment with an engineer on Oct 13 to give me a new line.

1) I am assuming they will be able to use the existing physical cabling that connects my socket to the pole at the back of my house.

Is this the case?

2) Once I get my new line do you have any idea how long it would take to get my old number back? I don't want to get broadband in and then have to change it all again when I get my old number restored.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. All the best.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi gthomson4000,

There shouldn't be a problem with the actual line or cabling. Once the service is up and running it should be a simple enough process to renumber you back to the original (assuming the number is still available).

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
gthomson4000
Beginner
Message 6 of 6