cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
staggie1746
Message 1 of 5

Small white box with BT logo, wires inside, and no socket - what is it?

Hi

We have recently moved into an old house with what appears to be quite an old BT box (it has the old piper logo on it, so im guessing it's 90s?).  The box is located just inside our front door to the top of the doorway, it has no socket, and is full of wires, as shown in the pics below.  What I think is the main socket is located a few metres away on the inside wall towards ground level. 

Does anyone know what this wee box is for?

We have a heap of redundant wiring in random places, is this also redundant?  

Cheers

Steve

20171013_213438.jpgBox by front door (hinge visible)20171013_213446.jpgBox casing20171013_213533.jpgBox wiring

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Small white box with BT logo, wires inside, and no socket - what is it?

If your line comes from a pole, then that is the connection block where the external cable (Top)  joins to the internal phone wiring (bottom).

Its one of these BT 78A

Are you having problems with your BT Broadband connection or BT phone line?

0 Ratings
staggie1746
Message 3 of 5

I think my line comes from a pole...

The box is at the front of the house, and outside the front door are a number of lids(?) in the pavement with the BT logo on them, and no poles.
However, at the back of the row of cottages at the far side of the gardens runs what looks to be a telephone line, with lines teeing off every few houses (not mine).
I took these pics of the covers in the pavement, and of the telephone line at the back:

20180315_211323.jpgCovers in pavement at front of house, near to box and socket20180315_211332.jpgZoom of cover20180315_212051.jpgOHL (assumed telecomms) at rear of neighbour's house20180315_212052.jpgZoom of pole

I couldn't open your jpeg I'm afraid, it kept timing out on me.

No problem with connectivity, just looking to do some building work in the area of the wee white box, so wanting to confirm what I can get rid of and what I need to work around.  For example, there is an old security system that was powered down years ago that we will be getting rid of, I thought the wee box may have been associated with that, or with an old telephone system or similar.
But if you are reasonably convinced it's an operational connection block I'll leave it alone!

Just to add, if it helps inform what infrastructure is near the house, there is no highspeed fibre or cable in my area (EH14 4AQ), just relatively slow internet down phonelines.

Many thanks for your reply.

0 Ratings
staggie1746
Message 4 of 5

0 Ratings
staggie1746
Message 5 of 5

0 Ratings