cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marscolony
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Spam calls

Just a couple of questions. I haven't had a landline for ages as have no need for one, but got one with most recent broadband switch as it worked out cheaper somehow.

I haven't given my number to anyone, I literally don't even know what it is to give out. And yet still get tons of spam calls, so much so I just unplugged the phone, it's that useful in my life.

1. How do people get my number to spam me?
  2. Should I decide it's useful to plug the phone back in, how do I go about stopping them?

Appreciate any advice.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
CJT80
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Spam calls

@marscolonywrote:

Just a couple of questions. I haven't had a landline for ages as have no need for one, but got one with most recent broadband switch as it worked out cheaper somehow.

I haven't given my number to anyone, I literally don't even know what it is to give out. And yet still get tons of spam calls, so much so I just unplugged the phone, it's that useful in my life.

1. How do people get my number to spam me?
  2. Should I decide it's useful to plug the phone back in, how do I go about stopping them?

Appreciate any advice.

Hello @marscolony

Just to help you out with 2 things: 

1. How do people get my number to spam me? - Normally a random number generator program, which dials several numbers at once and only some will work. 
  2. Should I decide it's useful to plug the phone back in, how do I go about stopping them? - Report ANY spam/scam calls via this link: https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams/
Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Buy a phone with a call blocking feature, like the BT8500, then they have to announce who they are, and you can reject the call. They most likely will not want to say anything, and just move on to the next target.

0 Ratings
marscolony
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

@CJT80 @Keith_Beddoe thanks. I think I will just leave the phone unplugged! I don't have any need for it and don't have time to report everything or money to buy a new phone.

Does everyone get these calls then if a RNG is used? How often do people usually get them?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Unless you keep the same number when you move providers, you will be given a "recycled" number which is probably on most spammers lists. The more you change number, the more likely you are to get these calls.

Quite likely whoever had your latest number before, was pestered with the calls, and may have requested a change.

I have had the same number for about 35 years, and do not get any of these calls. We occasionally get wrong numbers, as ours is very similar to a couple of local businesses.

Our number is not published anywhere, and is never given to anyone unless we know them.