cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Spurious call-backs after scam call

Just reporting a strange episode to see if anyone else has experienced it.

I received a call from "unavailable".  I picked it up and it was the well-known educated English voice from "BT" telling me there was a problem with my internet connection.  I put the phone down.  But the strange thing was that over the following hour or so I received four calls from real people in other parts of the country, ordinary landline subscribers who had evidently received a silent call from MY number and were phoning me back.  I had certainly not phoned complete strangers so I speculate that somehow the scammer had made these two calls and "impersonated" my number.  I understand this can be done if the call originates from a Voice Over Internet Protocol connection.  This sounds like a fault in the scammer's system to me!

Peter M

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Spurious call-backs after scam call

I suppose the spoofing system uses the last successful number to spoof the next call maybe.
What a pain.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Spurious call-backs after scam call

I received several more calls from puzzled strangers over the following hours.  The first two were within a few seconds of the initial scam call, from people who said they had received silent calls.   I understand this can result from a call centre with not enough operators to pick up automated outgoing calls as they are answered.  The later call-backs were from people who had dialled 1471 to see who had tried to call them earlier.

It would seem to be too easy to "fake" the caller's number  and this makes the display of the caller's number ineffective for the purpose of verifying the authenticity of incoming calls, and as this story shows, is resulting in a new kind of nuisance call.

Peter M

0 Ratings