cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Star wiring tutorial

Go to solution

Good Morning,

Can someone please guide me step by step how to ‘star wire’ my connection? Could you please explain to me where the wires should be connected.

Does star wiring cause a change on the DLM? 

I currently have incoming BT line connected to just 1 telephone socket (terminals 5 and 2) and I seem to be getting a internet connection with no master socket connected at all and no junction box. Strange but it works.

Thanks 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Star wiring tutorial

Go to solution

are you a BT broadband and phone customer  or with another ISP

for broadband you do not want star wiring in your phone setup/wiring

the first phone socket in your home where openreach incoming wire is connected should be your master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
Bt broadband.

I would like to try it out so how would I do it?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Star wiring is simply multiple sockets wired to a common point.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
So if I have a master socket, and for example 2 extension sockets, what terminals in the master socket should the 2 extensions be connected to for it to be star wiring? A and B or 5 and 2?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

I have absolutely no idea why on earth you would want to deliberately star wire sockets, but just common the connections to the other sockets on the incoming terminals A and B

Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
So connect both extension sockets (2 and 5 terminals) to A and B in the master socket with the already incoming bt line?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

yes 

that should destroy your broadband speed and cause unstable connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Well, that's a new one on me. Can't understand why anyone would like to have worse broadband 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
I’ve put the incoming bt line wires into A and B in master socket. Then connected 2 external telephone sockets (terminals 2 and 5) to the A and B terminals of the master socket with the incoming bt line and its all fine. No speed decrease, no issues 🙂
0 Ratings