cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Semajal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Still getting noise on line, intermittant fault, two engineers have tried. What next?

So I have had problems for a while now, mostly noticable in my ADSL dropping out (provider is BE) however a few weeks back I managed to eqaute this to noise on the phone line. I have a number of times been able to hear crackling noise over the phone line during a quiet line test using an analogue phone plugged into the test socket. Engineers have been round twice, first could find no faults, the second came today and did hear some noise on his initial quiet line test, and one fault was found with equipment. He replaced a connection and the fault didn't show up again. However I am still having the internet drop out, and getting intermittant noise. I have no extensions, and router/filter/all cables have all been switched over. I am slightly at my wits end as there doesn't seem to be anyone who can do anything, who should I contact or what should I do at this point? my ISP have tested everything they can and can also find no faults, but can confirm my connection drops a lot, as well as errors in terms of data loss, implying noise on the line. 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Still getting noise on line, intermittent fault, two engineers have tried. What next?

You just have to persist.

If you have enough audible noise on the line for there to be a reasonable chance of a visiting engineer hearing it then keep reporting this as a voice fault until it is fixed.

If not, and you have tried the Test Socket, different routers, cables filters and a wired connection from the router to the computer all to no avail then report it as a fault to your ISP.

Either way you should get a visit from an Openreach Engineer, although they might well run different tests in the two instances.

It might also be worth using a program called Routerstats to monitor your router in case there is a pattern to the Internet drop-outs that you have not yet noticed.  

0 Ratings
Semajal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Re: Still getting noise on line, intermittent fault, two engineers have tried. What next?

I had BE send me one of their routers, which I have been using for the last few days to no avail. Previously had been using a draytek. Currently everything plugged into the test socket, still problems, but of course since it is intermittant it is easy to miss depending on when it happens. I guess I should just keep track, get another engineer round and see if they can put me on a different line. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

who do you pay line rental to,
0 Ratings
Semajal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

we pay BT for the  phone line. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Ok just checking as some ISP's do phone packages as well

try the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can then it needs reporting to faults on 151
0 Ratings
Semajal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

As said though, its intermittant. Sometimes noisy, sometimes fine. I have had noise on quiet line tests and have had two engineers come and find no problems initially, then one test failed, then didn't fail, (although nothing obviously broken was fixed) then it was fine, then still getting noise. I just feel ill keep going in circles, engineers will come and do their best to find a fault, but it mostly won't show up. can I request getting swapped to a different line? (id guess this would be cheaper in the long run as won't keep having to call engineers out to try and fix it?) 

0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 15

Your ISP should have a record of every time your router loses its PPP session or Internet connection.  So if you are having problems they can see it (if they consult their records).  If all else fails they may switch you to a different line but I think they will probably want to try a few other options first.

One possibility is that your problem comes from electrical interference from some other device in your house that is transmitted to your router over the mains wiring.  That is why it is worth maintaining your own record of when you get disconnections and how your noise margin varies over time, using Routerstats. 

0 Ratings
Semajal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Operational statusup  14096

Download bitrate 14096.0

Upload bitrate 1797.0

Admin stateup

1-day retrains 46

Received bytes  6.418474613E9

Sent bytes  2.23097058E8

Sent bytes discarded 9.9934966E7

Received bytes discarded0.0

Loss of signal 23

Loss of frame 0

Severe error seconds 11

Error seconds 598

Failed inits 10

Stats from the provider, this morning I once again got noise on a quiet line test plugged into the test socket using an analogue phone. Above stats are from about a 20 hour period the other day. The current default router I am using from BE is not a default in routerstats, I will have a play around later to see if I can get it working in some form) 

0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

Try Routerstats Lite; that works with pretty much any router. http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerstatslite

0 Ratings