Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pipsqueak100
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Strange behaviour

Hi all,

First post on here for me.

My landline regularly has no dialling tone (at least twice a week) but as soon as I go online and instigate a line check "voila!" the dialling tone miraculously reappears. The line check always reports no fault found but it always seems to re set the problem. The situation is most irritating. Any ideas?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Strange behaviour

Welcome to this user forum.

There must be a high resistance joint, possiblly on the external network.

Can you please  leave your phone plugged into the test socket for a few days, and see if you still keep losing dial tone.

Test Socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

As Keith says it'll probably be a HR. When a test is run on a line it does certain things to identify different faults.

When the test checks for Earth Contacts across the pair it applies 500v to the line. This can temporarily burn out the HR and give you dial tone eventually the HR will reappear.

You'll probably find when it goes off if you ring into your line it might come back on because when a line recieves a call it disconnects from DC Voltage and converts to AC where it sends two bursts of 75v.
Message 4 of 7

Hi @Pipsqueak100 and welcome.

I'm sure I can help you with this. Can you please drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Hi @Pipsqueak100,

I tried calling this morning, sorry I missed you. How has the line been for you lately? Can you let me know how you're getting on?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Pipsqueak100
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Hi David,

Sorry I didn't get to answer your call this morning. The phone line still has the intermittent fault, but the problem, of late, has been less frequent. It's a real strange one. The moment I instigate a line test online, it clears the fault. Ringing in doesn't clear it.

Regards,

Pip

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for getting back @Pipsqueak100. Leave it with me. I'm out of the office tomorrow so it will be Wednesday when I get back to you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings